Old 14-06-2008, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Help with saving peas and bean seed.

In article ,
"Bertie Doe" writes:
| Last September I saved back 20+ pods of dwarf and French climbing beans and
| also some sugar snap peas. I allowed them to dry out on the parent plant.
|
| The condition of the seed wasn't pristine and I dried them on paper for a
| day. Although I placed them in airtight containers, most of them, dried up
| or went mouldy. Appreciate any advice please.

That's because you didn't dry them out! Nothing dries properly out
of doors in a UK winter, because of the sky-high (relative) humidity.
And a day indoors is nothing like enough - a week or two is needed,
at least.

If they shrivelled hopelessly, they weren't ripe enough for drying.

And, whether or not you use airtight containers, I recommend somewhere
dry, indoors. Airtight containers rarely are truly airtight.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.