Old 14-06-2008, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Help with saving peas and bean seed.

Last September I saved back 20+ pods of dwarf and French climbing beans and
also some sugar snap peas. I allowed them to dry out on the parent plant.

The condition of the seed wasn't pristine and I dried them on paper for a
day. Although I placed them in airtight containers, most of them, dried up
or went mouldy. Appreciate any advice please.

Bertie

Old 14-06-2008, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
Last September I saved back 20+ pods of dwarf and French climbing beans
and also some sugar snap peas. I allowed them to dry out on the parent
plant.

The condition of the seed wasn't pristine and I dried them on paper for a
day. Although I placed them in airtight containers, most of them, dried up
or went mouldy. Appreciate any advice please.

Try sticking them in envelopes in a dry place like everybody else!

Airtight containers are the biggest noon to keeping any plant or animal
alive !!

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 14-06-2008, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Bertie Doe" writes:
| Last September I saved back 20+ pods of dwarf and French climbing beans and
| also some sugar snap peas. I allowed them to dry out on the parent plant.
|
| The condition of the seed wasn't pristine and I dried them on paper for a
| day. Although I placed them in airtight containers, most of them, dried up
| or went mouldy. Appreciate any advice please.

That's because you didn't dry them out! Nothing dries properly out
of doors in a UK winter, because of the sky-high (relative) humidity.
And a day indoors is nothing like enough - a week or two is needed,
at least.

If they shrivelled hopelessly, they weren't ripe enough for drying.

And, whether or not you use airtight containers, I recommend somewhere
dry, indoors. Airtight containers rarely are truly airtight.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-06-2008, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Bertie Doe" writes:
| Last September I saved back 20+ pods of dwarf and French climbing beans
and
| also some sugar snap peas. I allowed them to dry out on the parent
plant.

| The condition of the seed wasn't pristine and I dried them on paper for
| day. Although I placed them in airtight containers, most of them, dried
up
| or went mouldy. Appreciate any advice please.

That's because you didn't dry them out! Nothing dries properly out
of doors in a UK winter, because of the sky-high (relative) humidity.
And a day indoors is nothing like enough - a week or two is needed,
at least.

If they shrivelled hopelessly, they weren't ripe enough for drying.

And, whether or not you use airtight containers, I recommend somewhere
dry, indoors. Airtight containers rarely are truly airtight.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I would say that airtight containers are the problem because referring back
to what Nick said, they will not be totally dry. Brown paper bags are ideal
imo.

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 14-06-2008, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Robert \(Plymouth\)" writes:

| I would say that airtight containers are the problem because referring back
| to what Nick said, they will not be totally dry. Brown paper bags are ideal
| imo.

Airtight is good, IF they are seriously dry before going in. And that
means a lot drier than most people realise. If not, I agree with the
use of brown paper bags.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-06-2008, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
Last September I saved back 20+ pods of dwarf and French climbing beans
and also some sugar snap peas. I allowed them to dry out on the parent
plant.

The condition of the seed wasn't pristine and I dried them on paper for a
day. Although I placed them in airtight containers, most of them, dried up
or went mouldy. Appreciate any advice please.

Bertie

They'd dry naturally, nothing wrong with that. Why did you put them in an
airtight container?

Mary

Old 14-06-2008, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert \(Plymouth\)" writes:

| I would say that airtight containers are the problem because referring
back
| to what Nick said, they will not be totally dry. Brown paper bags are
ideal
| imo.

Airtight is good, IF they are seriously dry before going in. And that
means a lot drier than most people realise. If not, I agree with the
use of brown paper bags.

Thanks all for the speedy replies. I'll give that a try - longer indoors to
dry out and store in paper bags.

Bertie

Old 14-06-2008, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Wage packets are good for seeds, Bertie. You could leave yours to dry hung
| up in the kitchen if it's not steamy or perhaps in front of a sunny window
| in a spare room etc.

Indeed, some people believe that wage packets are best filled with
Arachis hypogea!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 14-06-2008, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/6/08 16:00, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Wage packets are good for seeds, Bertie. You could leave yours to dry hung
| up in the kitchen if it's not steamy or perhaps in front of a sunny window
| in a spare room etc.

Indeed, some people believe that wage packets are best filled with
Arachis hypogea!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Oh, very good Nick!