Old 06-04-2003, 11:34 PM

Default needle valve recommendations?

willis stanley wrote in message t...
OK, I've had a clippard needle valve blow up on me after two weeks of
operation (around 4 psi coming off the regulator). Well, what happened
was it started hemoraging gas and then literally fell apart when I tried
to tighten the connections a bit. Right now I've got the home depot
special rigged up and putting out 1 bubble every 4 seconds or so.
Assuming this won't last (I'm not messing with it so long as it works)
what sort of other needle valve brands are recommended/used out there?
More importantly, if I have to invest in a more expensive needle valve
some time in the future, what would I likely have done wrong to cause
this sort of failure in the clippard?

I think you tried to screw it on too tightly and broke it. I use
15-20psi and have perhaps a 100 or so over the years. Not one has
failed. Your might be a defective one but user installation would be
the first thing to consider.

Tighting connections? The brass parts etc should be tighten well and
pipe compound should be used.

The last connection with the valve to the brass adapter should be
tighten only by hand and does not require much torque.

If you did all of this properly, then you can blame the valve, send it
back and they will send another one. They have excellent service.

But if you broke it, stripped the threads etc...... well..........

There is an adaptor flow disc on the control knob. This needs to be
adjusted so you can adjust the flow. It's a stopping gauge so you
don't over/under regulate the gas. I screw these down to the nub so
the adjustment is easy and the disc does not interfere.

Be gentle, use pipe compound, follow installation directions, ask for
another one.

I've used many of these, never had an issue. I'm not saying they 100%,
nothing is, even the most costly valve.

I used a Nu Pro in the past(Ran about 40$) but have used these
clippard valves for a decade or so. Congrat's, you are the first
compliant I've heard
But make sure things were done right, use pipe compound etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr