Old 06-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Gene Schurg

Default Patience!

About three years ago I bought a large Phal. hieroglyphica on a trip to
Florida. It was a huge plant with about 8 leaves and 4 spikes that were
about finished blooming.

The plant languished. First the aireal roots wilted. The leaves died one
by one until I was left with an ugly pair of leaves and a couple of spikes
that were still alive but not growing. The leaves were yellowish green and
looked like it would die anytime.

When I moved into the greenhouse last fall I stuck this tired plant under a
bench with the other less than perfect looking stuff (read: the stuff that
just won't die).

Well this is a tough old phal! Today I noticed it's making a new leaf and a
keiki is forming on two of the spikes.

At least a dozen times over the past year I almost trashed this plant. It's
still a long time until I enjoy the flowers again but this goes to show that
sometimes it takes patience!

Good Growing,
Gene