Old 06-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Gene Schurg

Default Patience!

About three years ago I bought a large Phal. hieroglyphica on a trip to
Florida. It was a huge plant with about 8 leaves and 4 spikes that were
about finished blooming.

The plant languished. First the aireal roots wilted. The leaves died one
by one until I was left with an ugly pair of leaves and a couple of spikes
that were still alive but not growing. The leaves were yellowish green and
looked like it would die anytime.

When I moved into the greenhouse last fall I stuck this tired plant under a
bench with the other less than perfect looking stuff (read: the stuff that
just won't die).

Well this is a tough old phal! Today I noticed it's making a new leaf and a
keiki is forming on two of the spikes.

At least a dozen times over the past year I almost trashed this plant. It's
still a long time until I enjoy the flowers again but this goes to show that
sometimes it takes patience!

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 07-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Mick Fournier

Gene,

We in the HBI lab have been "patiently" babying our flasks of Phalaenopsis
hieroglyphica for the last two years... the parents do bloom every year and
surprisingly emit a great fragrance.
Here is the picture of one of the parents used in our grex:
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...roglyphica.jpg

Mick
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com

--------------------------------

Old 07-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Diana Kulaga

Patience, hell. I wanna go kick things sometimes!

Diana

Old 08-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Diana Kulaga

;oD ;oD ;oD

The funny thing is, I'm the hostage, not the orchids! VBG

Diana

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Ok Diana.....deep breaths.......in out in out in out in out!

Now just slowly step away from the orchids.

rthlink.net...