Old 15-06-2008, 01:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Bill Stock Bill Stock is offline

Default Ideas need for a DIY waterfall wier

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
-Free...
I've pretty much decided to go with retaining blocks for my new waterfall.
I've considered a few designs, but think I'll use a wishing well design
with a cascade out the side. But this presents three problems, one, I need
a weir about 15" wide, 9" deep and about 4" high, two I need to contain
the water in the well and three I need to attach the weir to the
container.

I was originally considering a round Whiskey barrel container, but the
diameter is a bit small for my size. Plan B would be to cut off a 55
gallon drum, which is slightly big, but could probably be concealed. Plan
C would just be to throw some liner in the well and use the top row of
stones to hold it in place. But I don't know if a single row of stones
would hold the liner? Each stone weighs about 20 pounds and there would be
about 20 stones.

So any ideas for a weir that I could attach to liner or a half barrel? I
really have no good ideas for this one.

Talking to myself again, but I had an idea for this in bed last night. I was
thinking I could use a plastic garbage can sliced in half (or whatever gives
me four inches) with most of the bottom cut out. I would then glue and bolt
the bottom (with a small rim left) to my EPDM liner with a plastic washer
the same shape as the rim of the pail.. It might take a bit of hunting to
find a pail the right size, but at least I've got an idea. The other problem
is that this may be too soft to support the water, but most of the weight
should be carried by the retaining stones.

Any insights or warnings on tis idea?