Old 15-06-2008, 12:51 PM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgecop View Post
Good morning everyone,

I am having trouble identifying a plant growing at the side of our house. When we moved in 3 months ago, it had been cut down to virtually nothing but has grown quickly recently..Any help would be much appreciated...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...p/IMG_0516.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...p/IMG_0517.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...p/IMG_0518.jpg
It is a Fallopia [also known as Polygonum]. If it stop growing at the height in your photograph and produces red pokers, it is likely to be Polygonum amplexicaulis, which is a thug but relatively decorative and can be dealt with.

If it continues to grow to about 6 feet and has white flowers you have the dreaded Japanese knotweed.

If the former, you can dig it out relatively easily. If the latter, you have a problem.