Old 15-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Registered User

Default Plant ID Help

Good morning everyone,

I am having trouble identifying a plant growing at the side of our house. When we moved in 3 months ago, it had been cut down to virtually nothing but has grown quickly recently..Any help would be much appreciated...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...p/IMG_0516.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...p/IMG_0517.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...p/IMG_0518.jpg
Old 15-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgecop View Post
Good morning everyone,

I am having trouble identifying a plant growing at the side of our house. When we moved in 3 months ago, it had been cut down to virtually nothing but has grown quickly recently..Any help would be much appreciated...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...p/IMG_0516.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...p/IMG_0517.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...p/IMG_0518.jpg
It is a Fallopia [also known as Polygonum]. If it stop growing at the height in your photograph and produces red pokers, it is likely to be Polygonum amplexicaulis, which is a thug but relatively decorative and can be dealt with.

If it continues to grow to about 6 feet and has white flowers you have the dreaded Japanese knotweed.

If the former, you can dig it out relatively easily. If the latter, you have a problem.
Old 15-06-2008, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Good morning everyone,

I am having trouble identifying a plant growing at the side of our
house. When we moved in 3 months ago, it had been cut down to virtually
nothing but has grown quickly recently..Any help would be much
appreciated...

http://tinyurl.com/3lsc2z
http://tinyurl.com/4h527h
http://tinyurl.com/43x75y

One of the Persicara's maybe amplexicaulis bit invasive but usefull in
hard places where not much else will do, red or pink flower spikes late
summer on
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 15-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
It is a Fallopia [also known as Polygonum]. If it stop growing at the height in your photograph and produces red pokers, it is likely to be Polygonum amplexicaulis, which is a thug but relatively decorative and can be dealt with.

If it continues to grow to about 6 feet and has white flowers you have the dreaded Japanese knotweed.

If the former, you can dig it out relatively easily. If the latter, you have a problem.
Thanks for you help ......Upon closer inspection I can see some small red pokers forming.....