Old 16-06-2008, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
TheScullster TheScullster is offline

Default 2 Hedge Questions

Hi all

Another plea for recommendations please.
I have 2 locations for which hedge/planting suggestions would be
appreciated:

1) to separate 2 drives - definite hedge required here max 5' tall - 2' wide
Don't want boring privet/hawthorne/beach, prefer something colourful and
fragrant
Must be evergreen. Doesn't have to be too fast growing. Will tend to get
morning sun only.
Soil is heavy clay which has been broken up and much vegetable matter and
general purpose compost added.

2) To "improve the street scene" planted in front of a north facing fence.
Doesn't need to be a hedge as such, more individual plants, particularly to
hide 6' concrete posts and 1' high gravel board.
The fence will be set 500mm back from a public footpath to allow for this
planting, so don't want anything that desparately wants to spread far from
the fence.
Another consideration here is that I want to grow stuff (perhaps fruit
trees) trained on the south side of the same fence.
So whatever is put on the north side shouldn't affect the area 2-3' south
IYSWIM. So nothing that's going to drag all the nutrients out.
Soil here will have been sucked dry by a line of Blue Lawson firs, so any
recommendations on how to rejuvenate the area would be appreciated.

Thanks to anyone who's read this far and can be bothered to reply

Phil