Old 16-06-2008, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 2 Hedge Questions

Hi all

Another plea for recommendations please.
I have 2 locations for which hedge/planting suggestions would be
appreciated:

1) to separate 2 drives - definite hedge required here max 5' tall - 2' wide
Don't want boring privet/hawthorne/beach, prefer something colourful and
fragrant
Must be evergreen. Doesn't have to be too fast growing. Will tend to get
morning sun only.
Soil is heavy clay which has been broken up and much vegetable matter and
general purpose compost added.

2) To "improve the street scene" planted in front of a north facing fence.
Doesn't need to be a hedge as such, more individual plants, particularly to
hide 6' concrete posts and 1' high gravel board.
The fence will be set 500mm back from a public footpath to allow for this
planting, so don't want anything that desparately wants to spread far from
the fence.
Another consideration here is that I want to grow stuff (perhaps fruit
trees) trained on the south side of the same fence.
So whatever is put on the north side shouldn't affect the area 2-3' south
IYSWIM. So nothing that's going to drag all the nutrients out.
Soil here will have been sucked dry by a line of Blue Lawson firs, so any
recommendations on how to rejuvenate the area would be appreciated.

Thanks to anyone who's read this far and can be bothered to reply

Phil

Old 16-06-2008, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/6/08 12:11, in article
, "TheScullster"
wrote:

Hi all

Another plea for recommendations please.
snip

Sorry if I've asked you this before but where do you live? This is why I
used to plead that people put their location in their sig.file!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-06-2008, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

Sorry if I've asked you this before but where do you live? This is why I
used to plead that people put their location in their sig.file!

--
Sacha

Good point Sacha
I live in a village called Swanland, East Yorkshire in a fairly elevated
position (about 3 miles from the Humber Bridge - north end)

Phil

Old 16-06-2008, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

Then I'm sure people who know about gardening 'up there' will come along
help you. If you'd been in the balmy south west and near the sea, I was
thinking of Escallonia or even Pittosporum tobira but I don't think they'd
like your climate!

--

I already have Escallonia Rubra Macanthra (sp) in a mixed hedge with
ceanothus, cotoneaster and ileagnus. All seem to do well.

I will look at your Pittosporum Tobira.

Thanks

Phil

Old 16-06-2008, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/6/08 14:09, in article
, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote

Then I'm sure people who know about gardening 'up there' will come along
help you. If you'd been in the balmy south west and near the sea, I was
thinking of Escallonia or even Pittosporum tobira but I don't think they'd
like your climate!

--

I already have Escallonia Rubra Macanthra (sp) in a mixed hedge with
ceanothus, cotoneaster and ileagnus. All seem to do well.
However I was looking for something a bit more compact.
Is there a variety of escallonia that is perhaps more dense foliage and
generally happy to be smaller IYSWIM.
Still want the blooms and fragrance though of course.

I will look at your Pittosporum Tobira.

Thanks

Phil

I think that will be too tender for your location but never having gardened
there, what do I know?! Do you have Eleagnus ebbingei which is the highly
fragrant one? There's Berberis and Ribes and Choisya ternata 'Sundance' is
a good choice as its leaves are so colourful but some people hate their
smell and there's also Viburnum tinus and Osmanthus delavayi while Cotinus
coggyria makes a very pretty hedge. All would need some maintenance, though
and you'd have to check hardiness in your area.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
(new website online but not completed - shop to come and some mild tweaking
to do!)

Old 16-06-2008, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 16/6/08 14:09, in article
, "TheScullster"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Sacha I'll check out your suggestions tomorrow.

Phil

Old 16-06-2008, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
"Sacha" wrote in message
On 16/6/08 14:09, in article
, "TheScullster"
wrote:

[...]

This can look good
http://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatal...red_robin.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 17-06-2008, 04:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

TheScullster wrote:
"Emrys Davies" wrote
This can look good
http://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatal...red_robin.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Thanks Emrys
Yes, I have this elsewhere, it is also popular on the newer estates locally.
Problem is it's a bit woody for a small hedge even if closely trimmed
IYSWIM.
Agreed, as a standalone bush with plenty of space it is quite eye catching.

Phil

Emrys' suggestion of Photinia made me think of this field maple:

http://www.esveld.nl/htmldiaen/a/accrsh.htm

Not evergreen but makes very dense branching when cut regularly. A
very showy and trouble free plant.

-E

Old 17-06-2008, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

This can look good
http://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatal...red_robin.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Thanks Emrys
Yes, I have this elsewhere, it is also popular on the newer estates
locally.
Problem is it's a bit woody for a small hedge even if closely trimmed
IYSWIM.
Agreed, as a standalone bush with plenty of space it is quite eye
catching.

indeed it is, I have one that stands at about 10ft and almost as wide and it
is beautiful

kate

Old 18-06-2008, 01:48 AM
Registered User

Photinia Red Robin if pruned can make quite a good hedge. Friend in East coast of Scotland has one about 4'6" high and around 10 - 12 feet long. Looks lovely and not too woody. Is about 6 years old.
__________________
Currently sharing garden with - Moles, voles, rabbits, pheasants, sheep, cat, dogs, hare, buzzards, crows, slugs, frogs . . . . .
Old 27-06-2008, 06:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 16/6/08 13:34, in article
, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote

[...]

Hey it's not all rain and wind up here Sacha - Escallonia did fine where I
worked Aberdeen. The Humber estuary creates it's own slight micro climate,
so it should do well here.

Trevor
Kirkburn
East Yorkshire

Old 27-06-2008, 07:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/6/08 06:28, in article
net, "Trevor" news.plus.net
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 16/6/08 13:34, in article
, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote

Sorry if I've asked you this before but where do you live? This is why
used to plead that people put their location in their sig.file!

--
Sacha

Good point Sacha
I live in a village called Swanland, East Yorkshire in a fairly elevated
position (about 3 miles from the Humber Bridge - north end)

Phil

Then I'm sure people who know about gardening 'up there' will come along
help you. If you'd been in the balmy south west and near the sea, I was
thinking of Escallonia or even Pittosporum tobira but I don't think they'd
like your climate!

Hey it's not all rain and wind up here Sacha - Escallonia did fine where I
worked Aberdeen. The Humber estuary creates it's own slight micro climate,
so it should do well here.

Hi Trevor - nice to hear from you. ;-) I was thinking more of winter
frosts than wind and rain, Devon makes plenty of both! I think Escallonia
is a lovely hedge and I also like Griselinia grown as a 'tapestry' hedge
with an alternating two variegated to two green.