Old 23-02-2003, 01:15 AM
Scopata Fuori

Default Roses

Please can you help me I dont seem to get a lot of flowers on my roses
Iget lots of leaves but not many flowers.Do i need to feed them with
anything .

Hi John,

It sounds as though they are getting too much nitrogen, and not enough
phosphorous. Some folks would say to cut back on the nitrogen, but in my
experience, if you're getting lots of leaves, that's half the battle right
there. It's obviously healthy. And if it was an actual overdose of nitrogen
it would be damaging the plant, as it will burn in too high concentrations.
Get some low nitrogen fertilizer, with plenty of phosphorous, and I think
you'll see a difference.

I asked this same question, three or four years ago, and I was told that
within two weeks I would have blooms. She was right! I tested my soil not
long after that (also a good idea, but no need to get fancy with it), and
there was a low phosphorous level in that part of the yard. The other areas
I tested were borderline low, so I take that into consideration when
fertilizing.

The product I used, was from Southern States, and was a pure phosphorous
product, with no nitrogen or anything. I mixed a couple spoonfuls into my
sprayer, and applied it liberally under the plant. A week later, I diluted
it further, and sprayed the remainder over the leaves and all, in the
evening, along with a little Funginex (to avoid feeding the fungus and
blackspot).

Phosphorous does not move easily through the soil, and without boring you
with a lengthy description, suffice it to say, you should water it liberally
and it shouldn't be something you'll have to frequently re-apply, unlike
other nutrients.

Another reason you may have no blooms is that an unfriendly insect
infestation is eating them before they can become actual buds, but I think
the trace elements are the issue.

Scopata Fuori