Old 21-06-2008, 01:25 PM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novice2 View Post
I bought a 2ft high Norweigan Spruce last Christmas for my young children from a Christmas Tree Farm in Leicestershire. I dug it out of the ground and planted it in my front garden where it has lived happily until the last month when I noticed the pine needles and branches all of sudden start to turn a yellow/brown colour. It was green up until then. The grass has been fertilized recently and I have not watered the tree myself but allowed the natural rain fall. Can anyone help. I was wondering whether it was in to close proximity to the road/drive but the tree is not very big so I doubt the roots are stifled. I attach a picture below.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

No picture.

However, sadly a tree dug up like that in midwinter, kept in a pot and a heated room for some weeks, then planted out but not maintained [watered regularly round its root], will be surviving on its residual water content.

It would need to have been dug up with a good rootball and as much earth as possible, put into a large pot with good compost, be watered daily and (if the room is cerntrally heated) its needles sprayed to keep it moist, and to be planted out as soon as possible. All trees transplanted in this way need to be watered for the first year.

It could be worth giving it more time. I think you might start regular watering [at least once a week] and keep an eye on it. It may just be dropping last year's needles in one go, and might put out new ones.