Old 21-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Registered User

Default Norway Spruce turned brown/yellow

I bought a 2ft high Norweigan Spruce last Christmas for my young children from a Christmas Tree Farm in Leicestershire. I dug it out of the ground and planted it in my front garden where it has lived happily until the last month when I noticed the pine needles and branches all of sudden start to turn a yellow/brown colour. It was green up until then. The grass has been fertilized recently and I have not watered the tree myself but allowed the natural rain fall. Can anyone help. I was wondering whether it was in to close proximity to the road/drive but the tree is not very big so I doubt the roots are stifled. I attach a picture below.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 21-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Registered User

Apologies the photograph of my tree did not load correctly for some reason.
Old 21-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novice2 View Post
I bought a 2ft high Norweigan Spruce last Christmas for my young children from a Christmas Tree Farm in Leicestershire. I dug it out of the ground and planted it in my front garden where it has lived happily until the last month when I noticed the pine needles and branches all of sudden start to turn a yellow/brown colour. It was green up until then. The grass has been fertilized recently and I have not watered the tree myself but allowed the natural rain fall. Can anyone help. I was wondering whether it was in to close proximity to the road/drive but the tree is not very big so I doubt the roots are stifled. I attach a picture below.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

No picture.

However, sadly a tree dug up like that in midwinter, kept in a pot and a heated room for some weeks, then planted out but not maintained [watered regularly round its root], will be surviving on its residual water content.

It would need to have been dug up with a good rootball and as much earth as possible, put into a large pot with good compost, be watered daily and (if the room is cerntrally heated) its needles sprayed to keep it moist, and to be planted out as soon as possible. All trees transplanted in this way need to be watered for the first year.

It could be worth giving it more time. I think you might start regular watering [at least once a week] and keep an eye on it. It may just be dropping last year's needles in one go, and might put out new ones.
Old 21-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Registered User

Sorry I gorgot to mention, when I bought the tree I dug it up and brought it home and planted it straight away on the same day. It has been perfectly fine since then and only started to turn brown in the last month.

Thanks
Old 30-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Registered User

Location: Durham UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
No picture.

However, sadly a tree dug up like that in midwinter, kept in a pot and a heated room for some weeks, then planted out but not maintained [watered regularly round its root], will be surviving on its residual water content.

It would need to have been dug up with a good rootball and as much earth as possible, put into a large pot with good compost, be watered daily and (if the room is cerntrally heated) its needles sprayed to keep it moist, and to be planted out as soon as possible. All trees transplanted in this way need to be watered for the first year.

It could be worth giving it more time. I think you might start regular watering [at least once a week] and keep an eye on it. It may just be dropping last year's needles in one go, and might put out new ones.
I think you need to buy a new Christmas tree. Plant it early and cross your fingers. A 2 foot Norweigen Spruse wont cost that much in the UK anyway.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novice2 View Post
Sorry I gorgot to mention, when I bought the tree I dug it up and brought it home and planted it straight away on the same day. It has been perfectly fine since then and only started to turn brown in the last month.
You might do better to buy one from a plant centre, where it has been container grown to be transplanted, rather than a xmas tree farm where it is dug up as a short term decoration.

A bog standard Norway spruce isn't a very nice garden tree anyway in many circumstances. They are very fast growing, become very large, and aren't specially decorative. You can get nicer things from garden centres that are suitable for smaller sites, ie won't grow so fast, and also are more decorative.

Norway spruce question Kathy McIntosh United Kingdom 5 02-01-2011 10:07 AM
Norway spruce billwilliams Gardening 8 13-12-2009 01:54 AM
Norway Spruce emimec Gardening 1 10-05-2006 07:22 PM
The lawn has turned all brown (yellow)! Ablang Gardening 2 04-01-2005 03:10 AM
Weeping Norway Spruce as landscape plant Matt Gardening 5 04-05-2004 05:02 PM