Old 21-06-2008, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Insecticide Question

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article afa6ef23-0008-4129-88f9-69af9f6b1e20
@m45g2000hsb.googlegroups.com, says...
I spray my collards with liquid Sevin whenever cabbage worms appear.
I am apprehensive about eating the leaves and I wish to know if after
careful washing the collard leaves, are they safe to consume?
Thanks,
Johnny

I wouldn't. (Other people's mileage may vary.) And Sevin is particularly
hard on bees.

If you feel apprehensive about eating residual cholinesterase inhibitor,
try a BT spray.

Read: chemical warfare/nerve gas
MSDS:
http://www.reefball.com/reefballcoal...or%20Sevin.pdf

Alternately, try "the examine the leaves, squish the worms and knock the
eggs off the leaves technique" once a day. Which has served us very
well.

Then again, you may do as we do and cultivate wasps, which, once they
get going in a season, make off with most of our cabbage worms. I just
love the little attack critters which, along with our resident
dragonflies and the birds make a wonderful air force.

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars