Old 21-06-2008, 01:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Insecticide Question

I spray my collards with liquid Sevin whenever cabbage worms appear.
I am apprehensive about eating the leaves and I wish to know if after
careful washing the collard leaves, are they safe to consume?
Thanks,
Johnny
Old 21-06-2008, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article afa6ef23-0008-4129-88f9-69af9f6b1e20
@m45g2000hsb.googlegroups.com, says...
I spray my collards with liquid Sevin whenever cabbage worms appear.
I am apprehensive about eating the leaves and I wish to know if after
careful washing the collard leaves, are they safe to consume?
Thanks,
Johnny

I wouldn't. (Other people's mileage may vary.) And Sevin is particularly
hard on bees.

If you feel apprehensive about eating residual cholinesterase inhibitor,
try a BT spray.

Read: chemical warfare/nerve gas
MSDS:
http://www.reefball.com/reefballcoal...or%20Sevin.pdf

Alternately, try "the examine the leaves, squish the worms and knock the
eggs off the leaves technique" once a day. Which has served us very
well.

Then again, you may do as we do and cultivate wasps, which, once they
get going in a season, make off with most of our cabbage worms. I just
love the little attack critters which, along with our resident
dragonflies and the birds make a wonderful air force.

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 21-06-2008, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Johnny wrote:
I spray my collards with liquid Sevin whenever cabbage worms appear.
I am apprehensive about eating the leaves and I wish to know if after
careful washing the collard leaves, are they safe to consume?
Thanks,
Johnny

Read the label:
http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld5ER002.pdf

Do not use within 14 days on Chinese cabbage, collards, kale, or mustard
greens.

"BT" might be a better choice, and is nontoxic.

Bob
Old 21-06-2008, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

zxcvbob wrote:
Johnny wrote:
I spray my collards with liquid Sevin whenever cabbage worms appear.
I am apprehensive about eating the leaves and I wish to know if after
careful washing the collard leaves, are they safe to consume?
Thanks,
Johnny

Read the label:
http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld5ER002.pdf

Do not use within 14 days on Chinese cabbage, collards, kale, or mustard
greens.

"BT" might be a better choice, and is nontoxic.

Bob

I haven't used anything on my herb garden, but something is chowing on
my sage plant now. Would BT be a good choice there? Thanks!

Old 21-06-2008, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 21, 1:35*pm, Shanghai McCoy wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
Johnny wrote:
I spray my collards with liquid *Sevin whenever cabbage worms appear..
I am apprehensive about eating the leaves and I wish to know if after
careful washing the collard leaves, are they safe to consume?
Thanks,
Johnny

Read the label:
http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld5ER002.pdf

Do not use within 14 days on Chinese cabbage, collards, kale, or mustard
greens.

"BT" might be a better choice, and is nontoxic.

Bob

I haven't used anything on my herb garden, but something is chowing on
my sage plant now. Would BT be a good choice there? Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

Bt is the best choice for any type of butterfly or moth larva and that
includes cabbage worms or loopers. It is very selective and virtually
harmless to other lifeforms. It also has a good degree of persistance
and can be used as preventive. It is a stomach poison so the larva
have to ingest it. Carbaryl on the other hand is a contact poison,
with a shot halflife, It will kill many insects that come in contact
with it including cabbage worms. But it is most useful on beetles. It
is not very poisonous to humans, a little less than Rotenone and has
biodegraded with 24 hours, so I don't worry about poisoning myself,
but it just is not nearly as effective on cabbage worms as Bt.
Old 21-06-2008, 07:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,

zxcvbob wrote:
Johnny wrote:
[...]

Agreed, if you think it's larvae that are attacking your sage.

Sevin is also safe around birds, but BT is better for caterpillars.

Sevin kills any insect that comes in contact with it tho' so it also
kills beneficials. The only reason I'll submit to using in desperation
sometimes it is that it is so short lived. Only works for maybe 5 days
at best, and it if gets wet, it's gone.

I use it once or twice per year for flea control. I dust the entire yard
the same day I Frontline the pets. I'm always saddened tho' sometimes
by what I find dead. Last year, I found a dying female rhinoceros
beetle. :-(

It does control the fleas tho' and I've never had a problem with tics...
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein
Old 21-06-2008, 07:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

zxcvbob wrote:
Johnny wrote:
[...]

Thanks - I've been trying to keep the herb garden chem free, but most of
my energy has been focused on this damned mole. Carl Spackler's method
looks rather attractive at this point... I'm just not sure I can stay up
late enough to make the kill if I 1)tape a flashlight to my rifle, 2)
get stoned 3)drink a 6-pack. I'm also kinda short of C-4...
Old 21-06-2008, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

zxcvbob wrote:
Johnny wrote:
[...]

Get a gray female cat.

Old 21-06-2008, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:
Johnny wrote:
[...]

That seems kind of specific. Do you have a particular cat in mind? :-)

Bob

Old 21-06-2008, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Omelet wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:
Johnny wrote:
[...]

Nah. ;-) Some adult rescue from the shelter will do.

It's just been my past experience that gray or gray/calico females have
been death on moles, mice and gophers in the past!

Seems to be genetic with the color.

Old 21-06-2008, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Omelet wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:
Johnny wrote:
[...]

I've had a gray female cat for 16 years. She doesn't give a damn about
moles. I also have a 3 year-old hyper-effing-active rat terrier. She's
of the same opinion as the cat. Squirrels don't stand a chance, but
apparently this is a mole sanctuary.
Old 22-06-2008, 04:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Shanghai McCoy wrote:

Get a gray female cat.

That seems kind of specific. Do you have a particular cat in mind? :-)

Bob

Nah. ;-) Some adult rescue from the shelter will do.

It's just been my past experience that gray or gray/calico females have
been death on moles, mice and gophers in the past!

Seems to be genetic with the color.

I've had a gray female cat for 16 years. She doesn't give a damn about
moles. I also have a 3 year-old hyper-effing-active rat terrier. She's
of the same opinion as the cat. Squirrels don't stand a chance, but
apparently this is a mole sanctuary.

Too funny. :-) We once had a gray calico type tabby (she was mostly gray
with some tan and white) named "patience" that was the best
mouser/moler/gopher/rabbit cat we ever had!

Old 22-06-2008, 05:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Shanghai McCoy wrote:

Get a gray female cat.
That seems kind of specific. Do you have a particular cat in mind? :-)

Bob
Nah. ;-) Some adult rescue from the shelter will do.

It's just been my past experience that gray or gray/calico females have
been death on moles, mice and gophers in the past!

Seems to be genetic with the color.

I've had a gray female cat for 16 years. She doesn't give a damn about
moles. I also have a 3 year-old hyper-effing-active rat terrier. She's
of the same opinion as the cat. Squirrels don't stand a chance, but
apparently this is a mole sanctuary.

Too funny. :-) We once had a gray calico type tabby (she was mostly gray
with some tan and white) named "patience" that was the best
mouser/moler/gopher/rabbit cat we ever had!

Well, the old girl (Roxy) has been on thyroid meds for about 4 months
now. Her appetite comes and goes, and she's lost a lot of weight. She's
always been an indoor cat.. to many cars/dogs/mean people out there...
anyway, when she goes, I'll get two little fireball kittens to replace
her. Wish I could train 'em to catch moles...Actually, I should put that
damned rat terrier to work....
Old 22-06-2008, 07:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Shanghai McCoy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Shanghai McCoy wrote:

[...]

I've lost cats to hyperthyroidism... They generally lasted about 3
years. The thyroid meds the vet sold me made them nauseous so made their
appetite worse. sigh I gave up on the meds and just fed them every
time they begged, and offered gourmet cat foods to get them to eat more.

It's about all you can do. By the time they died, they weighed maybe 2
lbs. :-(

And I agree about keeping cats indoors now. Many years ago, we did not
feel that way.

The cats live longer now.

What you really need are some snakes.