Old 21-06-2008, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] farmerdill@bellsouth.net is offline

Default Insecticide Question

On Jun 21, 1:35*pm, Shanghai McCoy wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
Johnny wrote:
I spray my collards with liquid *Sevin whenever cabbage worms appear..
I am apprehensive about eating the leaves and I wish to know if after
careful washing the collard leaves, are they safe to consume?
Thanks,
Johnny

Read the label:
http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld5ER002.pdf

Do not use within 14 days on Chinese cabbage, collards, kale, or mustard
greens.

"BT" might be a better choice, and is nontoxic.

Bob

I haven't used anything on my herb garden, but something is chowing on
my sage plant now. Would BT be a good choice there? Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

Bt is the best choice for any type of butterfly or moth larva and that
includes cabbage worms or loopers. It is very selective and virtually
harmless to other lifeforms. It also has a good degree of persistance
and can be used as preventive. It is a stomach poison so the larva
have to ingest it. Carbaryl on the other hand is a contact poison,
with a shot halflife, It will kill many insects that come in contact
with it including cabbage worms. But it is most useful on beetles. It
is not very poisonous to humans, a little less than Rotenone and has
biodegraded with 24 hours, so I don't worry about poisoning myself,
but it just is not nearly as effective on cabbage worms as Bt.