Old 21-06-2008, 05:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gail Futoran Gail Futoran is offline

Default Frogs!

This year I've seen more frogs, and toads, and more variety of frogs,
in my ponds than in years past. They're pretty much everywhere.
Little green frogs (which I finally identified but forgot their
name!), Southern Leopard Frogs (they seem to especially like the
above-ground stocktank ponds), and the usual Gulf Coast Toads.
Haven't seen any tree frogs recently, but they've been around in other
years.

I wondered about the presence of Leopard Frogs in the ponds and the
possibility they might eat my goldfish (which would help control the
population, so I wouldn't complain), but so far I haven't noticed any
lessening of the goldfish numbers.

The Leopard Frogs have either gotten bolder or are more used to my
presence. Earlier in the year they'd duck under the water if I walked
by while they were up on a lily pad. Now, more often than not, they
just sit there looking at me, like "Oh her, she's no threat."

I've also lately heard a loud "groak!!" coming from my patio where
there's a mess of shelves, small storage shed, boxes, etc. I wonder
if there's a Bullfrog in there somewhere (I've seen them around some
years) either trapped or has found a place to escape the heat of the
day.

Gail
near San Antonio TX