Old 21-06-2008, 05:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Frogs!

This year I've seen more frogs, and toads, and more variety of frogs,
in my ponds than in years past. They're pretty much everywhere.
Little green frogs (which I finally identified but forgot their
name!), Southern Leopard Frogs (they seem to especially like the
above-ground stocktank ponds), and the usual Gulf Coast Toads.
Haven't seen any tree frogs recently, but they've been around in other
years.

I wondered about the presence of Leopard Frogs in the ponds and the
possibility they might eat my goldfish (which would help control the
population, so I wouldn't complain), but so far I haven't noticed any
lessening of the goldfish numbers.

The Leopard Frogs have either gotten bolder or are more used to my
presence. Earlier in the year they'd duck under the water if I walked
by while they were up on a lily pad. Now, more often than not, they
just sit there looking at me, like "Oh her, she's no threat."

I've also lately heard a loud "groak!!" coming from my patio where
there's a mess of shelves, small storage shed, boxes, etc. I wonder
if there's a Bullfrog in there somewhere (I've seen them around some
years) either trapped or has found a place to escape the heat of the
day.

Gail
near San Antonio TX

Old 21-06-2008, 09:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Pat Pat is offline

"Gail Futoran" wrote

| This year I've seen more frogs, and toads, and more variety of frogs,
| in my ponds than in years past. They're pretty much everywhere.
| Little green frogs (which I finally identified but forgot their
| name!), Southern Leopard Frogs (they seem to especially like the
| above-ground stocktank ponds), and the usual Gulf Coast Toads.
| Haven't seen any tree frogs recently, but they've been around in other
| years.
|
| I wondered about the presence of Leopard Frogs in the ponds and the
| possibility they might eat my goldfish (which would help control the
| population, so I wouldn't complain), but so far I haven't noticed any
| lessening of the goldfish numbers.
|
| The Leopard Frogs have either gotten bolder or are more used to my
| presence. Earlier in the year they'd duck under the water if I walked
| by while they were up on a lily pad. Now, more often than not, they
| just sit there looking at me, like "Oh her, she's no threat."
|
| I've also lately heard a loud "groak!!" coming from my patio where
| there's a mess of shelves, small storage shed, boxes, etc. I wonder
| if there's a Bullfrog in there somewhere (I've seen them around some
| years) either trapped or has found a place to escape the heat of the
| day.

I'm trying to cultivate frogs here, especially the tree frogs that we call
"peepers", because they drown out the sound of the neighborhood dogs
barking. I'm having some success even without a pond, because I have a
kiddie pool for them, and it is filled with tiny green tadpoles that are
losing their tails and growing tiny legs!

I wish there was a loud frog that would sing during the day, to drown out
the sound of all the freakin' gas lawnmowers. If it's not one neighbor
obsessively mowing down to half an inch and killing all the animal life in
the lawn, it's another, every day of the week, all day long. Unfortunately
the frogs couldn't drown out the horrid exhaust odor. Gas mowers put out way
more pollution than cars, and their rotary blades are hell on the poor
grass. That's why I use a cordless electric reel mower, but even with that I
am always wary of harming a snake or something so I go slow and leave it set
on 3.5".

Old 22-06-2008, 02:46 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I heard one of the Frogzillas the other day try out his croak.
Then we had to drain down the pond a bit to clean out the pump
so the water cooled down with the addition of fresh water so
he's been quiet.
(Frogzillas are these two enormous bullfrogs that showed up
out of nowhere this spring to court Her Royal Highness The Lady
Bullfrog who has been in the pond for years now.)

I heard that the sales of reel mowers has gone up due to the high
cost of gas. It's a sound from my childhood (dating myself!).

k :-)

Old 22-06-2008, 02:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 12:00:55 EDT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

This year I've seen more frogs, and toads, and more variety of frogs,
in my ponds than in years past.Gail
near San Antonio TX

I'm sure I would have had a ton more if I could have left them alone last
year and have free rein of the lily pond.

The last tree frog is still croaking, thankfully down by the koi ponds. The
one in the lily pond finally gave up a few nights ago... unless the raccoon
in the area got him. This is the normal time they stop... with one usually
hanging in there till the 4th of July. I have quite a few taddies, so
hopefully they'll come back on their own to the kiddy pool and stock tank
around the koi ponds. Funny thing, they liked the gallon buckets I planted
with lilies and filled with water. There were enough eggs in those that
when I moved the buckets to the tote tubs I ended up with taddies in 3 out
of 4 tubs. The 4th tub had mosquito larvae... Yea... taddy control works.
Mosquito Bits do too. ;-)

What I've noticed, even with a harder winter than we've had in awhile the
bugs seem worst and spiders are everywhere. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 22-06-2008, 02:48 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Anyone on Long Island have excess frog eggs? Note I'm learning to type one
handed...
Donna

"Gail Futoran" wrote

Old 22-06-2008, 05:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I have noticed a larger than usual number of frogs too. I have a
mixture
of green, leopard and bull frogs. The green frogs generally stay in a
small
pond with no fish. The leopard frogs come and go. Often see them
going
into the flower and garden beds. The bullfrogs have taken over the
veggie
filters and the iris bog. When we go out into the yard after dark,
it's best to
take a flashlight or you risk stepping on a frog! I've been startled
more than
once by a frog leaping and croaking just as I'm about to step on it.

We often sit on the porch listening to the frogs barking after dark.
Have
noticed that the fireflies aren't as numerous - wonder if that's is
the result
of so many frogs?

Bonnie
NJ

Old 24-06-2008, 05:20 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
This year I've seen more frogs, and toads, and more variety of frogs, in
my ponds than in years past. They're pretty much everywhere. Little green
frogs (which I finally identified but forgot their name!), Southern
Leopard Frogs (they seem to especially like the above-ground stocktank
ponds), and the usual Gulf Coast Toads. Haven't seen any tree frogs
recently, but they've been around in other years. brevity snip

=======================
Something, probably a cat, got every last bullfrog in our ponds and tubs.
What we are crawling away with are those small cricket frogs. Usually we
hear one or two every summer but this year there must be dozens out there.
They're much noisier than the other frogs. After few hours they can get
irritating but so far no complaints from the neighbors.

Enjoy your frogs. :-)
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 24-06-2008, 05:20 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Pat" wrote in message
I wish there was a loud frog that would sing during the day, to drown out
the sound of all the freakin' gas lawnmowers. If it's not one neighbor
obsessively mowing down to half an inch and killing all the animal life in
the lawn, it's another, every day of the week, all day long. Unfortunately
the frogs couldn't drown out the horrid exhaust odor. Gas mowers put out
way
more pollution than cars, and their rotary blades are hell on the poor
grass. That's why I use a cordless electric reel mower, but even with that
am always wary of harming a snake or something so I go slow and leave it
set
on 3.5".

=============================
Your post is a classic example of why we sold the house in town and moved up
here to the country. Sirens, fire engines and barking dogs all night and
mowers and other noise all day..... we seldom hear any of that here by the
lake. What we hear now are frogs, birds, crows, cicadas and crickets. Only
5 miles from town but it's like another world.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 2 01-09-2004 07:06 PM
frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 0 31-08-2004 10:24 PM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Feeding Frogs Rupert Ponds 1 30-01-2003 05:20 AM