Old 22-06-2008, 07:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Insecticide Question

In article ,
Shanghai McCoy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Shanghai McCoy wrote:

Get a gray female cat.
That seems kind of specific. Do you have a particular cat in mind? :-)

Bob
Nah. ;-) Some adult rescue from the shelter will do.

It's just been my past experience that gray or gray/calico females have
been death on moles, mice and gophers in the past!

Seems to be genetic with the color.
I've had a gray female cat for 16 years. She doesn't give a damn about
moles. I also have a 3 year-old hyper-effing-active rat terrier. She's
of the same opinion as the cat. Squirrels don't stand a chance, but
apparently this is a mole sanctuary.

Too funny. :-) We once had a gray calico type tabby (she was mostly gray
with some tan and white) named "patience" that was the best
mouser/moler/gopher/rabbit cat we ever had!

Well, the old girl (Roxy) has been on thyroid meds for about 4 months
now. Her appetite comes and goes, and she's lost a lot of weight. She's
always been an indoor cat.. to many cars/dogs/mean people out there...
anyway, when she goes, I'll get two little fireball kittens to replace
her. Wish I could train 'em to catch moles...Actually, I should put that
damned rat terrier to work....

I've lost cats to hyperthyroidism... They generally lasted about 3
years. The thyroid meds the vet sold me made them nauseous so made their
appetite worse. sigh I gave up on the meds and just fed them every
time they begged, and offered gourmet cat foods to get them to eat more.

It's about all you can do. By the time they died, they weighed maybe 2
lbs. :-(

And I agree about keeping cats indoors now. Many years ago, we did not
feel that way.

The cats live longer now.

What you really need are some snakes.
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein