Old 25-06-2008, 07:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Frank Frank is offline

Default It's official (Verizon) - Anyone care if I post pictures at RGO?

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:59:33 -0700, tbell said...

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 14:33:38 -0700, Ray B wrote
(in article S4W5k.6520$Mu.6482@trndny07):

I pay for Giganews, but appreciate the squeeze that others are in.

I think the suggestion of starting a new photo group within one of the
"Big 8" titles is reasonable if its possible. Where do you find out about the
limits on a binary group?

The idea of posting to a website, and posting the URL to RGO is a
possibility, but I suspect a lot of folks would be unwilling/unable to
establish their own websites, and that would make commentary pretty
cumbersome.

So let's have some more information and ideas from you young squirts who know
computing inside and out.

Tom

I think Roadrunner & Verizon killed their Usenet service because it cost them a
lot to operate & they couldn't find a way to make money out of it. If binary
posts start finding their way to Big-8 groups they'll inevitably start to filter
them if they haven't done so already.

I gave up on Roadrunner servers a year ago, and switched to a paid Usenet
provider (Newsguy). Tried Giganews, and they were good, but frankly other
providers offer comparable service and are less expensive.

I get 50 Gig through Newsguy for $8 month, and the closet account at Giganews
was 25 Gigs for $13 month. Newsguy also has a 10 Gig / $3 month option, compared
to 2 Gig / $8 month at Giganews. I also liked the fact that Newsguy rolls over
my unused Gigs each month, and Giganews deletes unused Gigs last I had checked.

For what it's worth, Newsguy is offering a free month of newsgroup access to
Roadrunner & Verizon customers if you buy one of their paid accounts...

http://newsguy.com/freemonth.htm

- F