Old 26-06-2008, 11:53 PM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default How to turn kikuyu grass into compost effectively

"YMC" wrote in message
Hi,

I've got a bit of the kikuyu grass
http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weed...a=all&card=E27

in my lawn. The council planted it as the common nature strip grass and
some of it has gotten into my garden.

They grow very quickly - I've been weeding them out- and throwing them
into the council garden waste bins.

But can I put it into my compost bin- or will the grass roots survive and
grow again?

you probably don't want to risk that (& it can happen with live things put
into compost). if it's left on the surface during hot weather (esp windy),
the plant will die quickly & can be put in after a few days. this time of
year that doesn't really happen - things live on on the surface like the
undead..!! so you could drown it in water for a few weeks & then put it in.
(then you could use the water as a fertiliser afterwards). not sure how long
it would take kikuyu to drown - by the time it's going slushy & decomposing
in the bucket, it's dead (as a general rule ;-).
kylie