Old 26-06-2008, 02:50 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default How to turn kikuyu grass into compost effectively

Hi,

I've got a bit of the kikuyu grass
http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weed...a=all&card=E27

in my lawn. The council planted it as the common nature strip grass and some
of it has gotten into my garden.

They grow very quickly - I've been weeding them out- and throwing them into
the council garden waste bins.

But can I put it into my compost bin- or will the grass roots survive and
grow again?

Old 26-06-2008, 11:53 PM posted to aus.gardens

"YMC" wrote in message
Hi,

I've got a bit of the kikuyu grass
http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weed...a=all&card=E27

in my lawn. The council planted it as the common nature strip grass and
some of it has gotten into my garden.

They grow very quickly - I've been weeding them out- and throwing them
into the council garden waste bins.

But can I put it into my compost bin- or will the grass roots survive and
grow again?

you probably don't want to risk that (& it can happen with live things put
into compost). if it's left on the surface during hot weather (esp windy),
the plant will die quickly & can be put in after a few days. this time of
year that doesn't really happen - things live on on the surface like the
undead..!! so you could drown it in water for a few weeks & then put it in.
(then you could use the water as a fertiliser afterwards). not sure how long
it would take kikuyu to drown - by the time it's going slushy & decomposing
in the bucket, it's dead (as a general rule ;-).
kylie

Old 28-06-2008, 11:19 AM posted to aus.gardens

Thanks for that Erik! Good stuff there!

Cheers,

Yau

"Erik Vastmasd" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 23:50:48 +1000,when reading "aus.gardens", I'm
certain I caught a glimpse of ""YMC" "
saying:

Hi,

I've got a bit of the kikuyu grass
http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weed...a=all&card=E27

in my lawn. The council planted it as the common nature strip grass and
some
of it has gotten into my garden.

They grow very quickly - I've been weeding them out- and throwing them
into
the council garden waste bins.

But can I put it into my compost bin- or will the grass roots survive and
grow again?

In my neighbourhood I've always had to contend with "kikuyu" as there
was no other option, my lawns and those of my neighbours are all
"kikuyu". I have always composted kikuyu lawn clippings and providing
your compost bin is heating up it will kill off any kikuyu roots.

An alternative I have had great success with is two compost bins
virtually turned into worm farms because I introduced worms that I
purchased from "Bunnings" and they certainly won't allow kikuyu to
survive.

I moved my compost bins into shady areas because too much heat could
kill the worms. I put all my kikuyu lawn clippings in my councils garden
waste bin where they reside for two weeks. After two weeks I move the
clippings into my compost bins. If I was to put the lawn clippings
straight into the compost bins the heat could kill off the worms.

Compost bins with worms need to be kept damp so chucking in a bucket of
water once a week is a good idea also vegetable peels, coffee grounds
etc. and sheets of wet newspaper are excellent for maintaining the food
content and the moisture. Worms love wet cardboard but try to select
cardboard without too much printing.
--

Erik.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:33 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Erik Vastmasd" wrote in message
In my neighbourhood I've always had to contend with "kikuyu" as there
was no other option, my lawns and those of my neighbours are all
"kikuyu". I have always composted kikuyu lawn clippings and providing
your compost bin is heating up it will kill off any kikuyu roots.

Do you have to mince up the kikuyu roots or can you just throw them in
whole. I mention this as - I do a lot of weeding and pull out these massive
grass runners from the soil - which are so thick they resemble barbed wire.

Do you also spray round up or some herbicide into the compost bin to kill
them off?

Thanks!