Old 28-06-2008, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching
Phillip Phillip is offline

Default Charming sight

"Sacha" wrote in message
We were all having tea in the largest greenhouse when we noticed that a

tray
of 24 x 9cm pots, filled with compost, had been invaded by half a dozen
sparrows, each of which had chosen a pot to itself. They had the most
thorough and wonderfully enjoyable dustbath that went on for a good 15
minutes. Compost was flying everywhere, clouds of dust were rising

upwards,
feathers and wings and tails were given a good coating and ten seconds
before Ray walked in with his camera, they all flew off! But what a

really
enjoyable thing to see - pure enchantment!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

tweaking
to do!)

Birding-Aus posters have had a bit to say about sparrows recently.
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/

Lack of urban dust bathing opportunities has been offered as one cause of
their population declines.