Old 28-06-2008, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

Default Charming sight

We were all having tea in the largest greenhouse when we noticed that a tray
of 24 x 9cm pots, filled with compost, had been invaded by half a dozen
sparrows, each of which had chosen a pot to itself. They had the most
thorough and wonderfully enjoyable dustbath that went on for a good 15
minutes. Compost was flying everywhere, clouds of dust were rising upwards,
feathers and wings and tails were given a good coating and ten seconds
before Ray walked in with his camera, they all flew off! But what a really
enjoyable thing to see - pure enchantment!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-06-2008, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Birding-Aus posters have had a bit to say about sparrows recently.
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/

Lack of urban dust bathing opportunities has been offered as one cause of
their population declines.

Old 28-06-2008, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

On 28/6/08 18:33, in article
, "Phillip"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
We were all having tea in the largest greenhouse when we noticed that a

tray
of 24 x 9cm pots, filled with compost, had been invaded by half a dozen
sparrows, each of which had chosen a pot to itself. They had the most
thorough and wonderfully enjoyable dustbath that went on for a good 15
minutes. Compost was flying everywhere, clouds of dust were rising

upwards,
feathers and wings and tails were given a good coating and ten seconds
before Ray walked in with his camera, they all flew off! But what a

really
enjoyable thing to see - pure enchantment!

Birding-Aus posters have had a bit to say about sparrows recently.
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/

Lack of urban dust bathing opportunities has been offered as one cause of
their population declines.

Full shower, bathing facilities and - apparently - en suite bathrooms are to
be found here. They also enjoy the granite trough which has a tiny water
jet in it.

Old 28-06-2008, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 28/6/08 18:33, in article
, "Phillip"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Sparrows regularly make a dust bath in one of our beds next to the front
gate. Tells you about our soil.

Also there is a defect in the tarmac of the pavement nearby, making a sunken
bit about 2ft long, 6in wide, and no more than 2in deep at its centre. It
fills up when it rains and the birds love to bathe in it.

Steve

Old 29-06-2008, 01:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:

: "Sacha" wrote in message
: ...
:: On 28/6/08 18:33, in article
:: ,
:: "Phillip" wrote:
::
:::
::: "Sacha" wrote in message
::: ...
:::: We were all having tea in the largest greenhouse when we noticed
:::: that a tray of 24 x 9cm pots, filled with compost, had been
:::: invaded by half a dozen sparrows, each of which had chosen a pot
:::: to itself. They had the most thorough and wonderfully enjoyable
:::: dustbath that went on for a good 15 minutes. Compost was flying
:::: everywhere, clouds of dust were rising upwards, feathers and wings
:::: and tails were given a good coating and ten seconds before Ray
:::: walked in with his camera, they all flew off! But what a really
:::: enjoyable thing to see - pure enchantment!
::::
::::
:::
::: Birding-Aus posters have had a bit to say about sparrows recently.
::: http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/
:::
::: Lack of urban dust bathing opportunities has been offered as one
::: cause of their population declines.

: Sparrows regularly make a dust bath in one of our beds next to the
: front gate. Tells you about our soil.

They often squabble over the best dips and hollows on my back garden. All it
takes is one day of sunshine to dry up the surface for them.

: Steve

--
Steve (a different one)