Old 29-06-2008, 01:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Steve Turner[_2_] Steve Turner[_2_] is offline

Default Charming sight

shazzbat wrote:

: "Sacha" wrote in message
: ...
:: On 28/6/08 18:33, in article
:: ,
:: "Phillip" wrote:
::
:::
::: "Sacha" wrote in message
::: ...
:::: We were all having tea in the largest greenhouse when we noticed
:::: that a tray of 24 x 9cm pots, filled with compost, had been
:::: invaded by half a dozen sparrows, each of which had chosen a pot
:::: to itself. They had the most thorough and wonderfully enjoyable
:::: dustbath that went on for a good 15 minutes. Compost was flying
:::: everywhere, clouds of dust were rising upwards, feathers and wings
:::: and tails were given a good coating and ten seconds before Ray
:::: walked in with his camera, they all flew off! But what a really
:::: enjoyable thing to see - pure enchantment!
::::
::::
:::
::: Birding-Aus posters have had a bit to say about sparrows recently.
::: http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/
:::
::: Lack of urban dust bathing opportunities has been offered as one
::: cause of their population declines.

: Sparrows regularly make a dust bath in one of our beds next to the
: front gate. Tells you about our soil.

They often squabble over the best dips and hollows on my back garden. All it
takes is one day of sunshine to dry up the surface for them.

: Steve

--
Steve (a different one)