Old 07-04-2003, 03:32 PM
David J. Bockman

Default Climbing Hydrangea

Climbing Hydrangea are slow to become established but soon will create
extensive growth. The old adage is:

"First year it sleeps, second year it creeps, third year it leaps."

A concern of mine is that the metal structure onto which you want the vine
to climb might not be a very hospitable enviorment, especially if it gets
full sun.

Generally CH's are pretty tenacious and can get their hooks to grab many
different kinds of surfaces-- neverthe less you may have to help it along
with a little wood behind it until it can become established up higher...
some cut bamboo canes perhaps?

Dave
"Brs36" wrote in message
Hi,
Last year I planted a climbing hydrangea at the base of an unused motor

hoist
in my backyard. I see that the hydrangea lasted the winter and is

starting to
green. Right now I have it climbing (if you can call a 12 inch plant

climbing)
the small trellis that came in the pot when I bought the plant.

Hopefully,
this plant will out grow it. If and when it does, I'd like to get the
hydrangea to climb up the motor hoist. Any thoughts as to how I could get

that
to happen? The hoist itself is metal and too slick for the hydrangea to

climb
on its own. I was think of making some kind of wire structure to support

it on
its way up. Other possibilities?

Brennan
(who still can't figure out which zone he's in)
MD/DC
Remove the Nojunk from the email address to reply to the email address.