Old 07-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Brs36

Default Climbing Hydrangea

Hi,
Last year I planted a climbing hydrangea at the base of an unused motor hoist
in my backyard. I see that the hydrangea lasted the winter and is starting to
green. Right now I have it climbing (if you can call a 12 inch plant climbing)
the small trellis that came in the pot when I bought the plant. Hopefully,
this plant will out grow it. If and when it does, I'd like to get the
hydrangea to climb up the motor hoist. Any thoughts as to how I could get that
to happen? The hoist itself is metal and too slick for the hydrangea to climb
on its own. I was think of making some kind of wire structure to support it on
its way up. Other possibilities?

Brennan
(who still can't figure out which zone he's in)
MD/DC
Remove the Nojunk from the email address to reply to the email address.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:32 PM
David J. Bockman

Climbing Hydrangea are slow to become established but soon will create
extensive growth. The old adage is:

"First year it sleeps, second year it creeps, third year it leaps."

A concern of mine is that the metal structure onto which you want the vine
to climb might not be a very hospitable enviorment, especially if it gets
full sun.

Generally CH's are pretty tenacious and can get their hooks to grab many
different kinds of surfaces-- neverthe less you may have to help it along
with a little wood behind it until it can become established up higher...
some cut bamboo canes perhaps?

Dave

Old 07-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Timothy

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:02:01 +0000, Brs36 wrote:

Hi,
Last year I planted a climbing hydrangea at the base of an unused motor
hoist in my backyard. I see that the hydrangea lasted the winter and is
starting to green. Right now I have it climbing (if you can call a 12
inch plant climbing) the small trellis that came in the pot when I
bought the plant. Hopefully, this plant will out grow it. If and when
it does, I'd like to get the hydrangea to climb up the motor hoist. Any
thoughts as to how I could get that to happen? The hoist itself is
metal and too slick for the hydrangea to climb on its own. I was think
of making some kind of wire structure to support it on its way up. Other
possibilities?

i'd have to say that your zone is 7a or 7b.Either or should work 80)
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-ne1.html

It was requested by one of my customers to plant climbing hydrangea on 3
down spouts on their property. I ended up wraping 3 foot tall chicken
wire around the pipe and zip tied the climbing hydrangea (loosly mind you)
to the wire. It took 2 seasons for the climbing hydrangea to cover the 3
foot wire. They somewhat attach themselves to the wire... I do the rest
with bread bag ties and zip ties. Good luck.

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

Old 08-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Trish K.

I have no clue what a motor hoist is, but could you use it to hoist a
thing for the hydrangea to climb? Cracked metal dodads and cables would
be thematic and a bunch of big springs? like something forgotten in the
middle of it's doing, and left to time. The hydrangea bark is pretty in
winter, but would it be be artificial with wires? Or you could grow a
wild vine and let the hydrtangea climb that, when the wild vine gets big
cut it, then wire that, hydrangea take a while to move, some vine in my
yard grows 3 feet or more a year. Once the hydrange get fixed there
though, it's darn right stout.

^TK

Old 08-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Allview

I planted a climbing hydrangea at a metal trellis and then found out that it
climbs by clinging with little hairs on the stems. I put a length of green
nylon net up and over the trellis. Practically invisible. I think it was
working although I'm just going into the third year when it will get some
height. Trouble is one of the squirrels tore it down. I don't know whether to
replace the net or move the plant.

Marilyn in Ohio

Old 08-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Jutta

climbing hydrangea doesn't need wires to cling to. It will cling to the wall - I
have one and only have a trellis that's in the ground but the branches have
grown beyond it and have little suction cups against the wall.

Timothy wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Climbing hydrangea pruning Tiger303 United Kingdom 4 27-02-2006 10:04 AM
Climbing Hydrangea Mike United Kingdom 12 11-05-2005 11:07 AM
Climbing Hydrangea 'Petiolaris' Mike United Kingdom 8 06-07-2003 09:08 AM
Climbing hydrangea Cindy Gardening 6 05-07-2003 10:44 AM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM