Old 07-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Radika Kesavan

Default Longest time to soak roses?

Regina wrote:
"Jean S. Barto" wrote:

and the soil is too tough/clay-like for me to get through even with
a shovel with serrated edge.

If you want to get it dug sooner, try deep watering the area then
leaving it for a day or two. Often clay soil will dig most easily if
damp. But let it drain well before messing with it or you'll damage
the soil structure.

Excatly what Regina said.

Since it's possible I won't be able to plant this last rose for
about a week, am I able to keep this rose's roots soaking in water
that long, ...

As you've already heard, long soaking really is not a problem.

Really and truly, this is not a problem, at least not in this time of year.

And I take none of the precautions Allegra mentioned, re changing the
water.

I never have, either, but this year, the local authorities are warnign
us against even rain water collecting in saucers for potted plants for
fear of giving a home to mosquito larvae and WNV. Hence I'd recommend
changing the water to keep it clean.

--
Radika
California