Old 03-07-2008, 05:33 PM posted to aus.gardens
YMC[_2_] YMC[_2_] is offline

Default How to turn kikuyu grass into compost effectively

"Erik Vastmasd" wrote in message
In my neighbourhood I've always had to contend with "kikuyu" as there
was no other option, my lawns and those of my neighbours are all
"kikuyu". I have always composted kikuyu lawn clippings and providing
your compost bin is heating up it will kill off any kikuyu roots.

Do you have to mince up the kikuyu roots or can you just throw them in
whole. I mention this as - I do a lot of weeding and pull out these massive
grass runners from the soil - which are so thick they resemble barbed wire.

Do you also spray round up or some herbicide into the compost bin to kill
them off?

Thanks!