Old 03-07-2008, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Huge mullein

In article ,
K writes:
| Jim Ford writes
| I'm familiar with the usual wild mulleins, with the single spike of
| flowers, but never seen one like this before. It's about 2.5 meters tall
| and growing 'wild' on a bank where I work.
|
| http://homepage.ntlworld.com/james.ford60/mullein.jpg
|
| Identification anyone, please?
|
| You could try Hoary mullein, V pulverulentum. It's branched and quite
| big. According to Fitter, only in E Anglia, though I was at a nature
| reserve in Derbys at yesterday and I'm sure the warden claimed that the
| large branched mulleins on the steep sides of the valley were hoary
| mullein.

The pictures certainly match. But it is the sort of plant that is
likely to be an escape from wild garden schemes. Clapham, Tutin
and Warburg says that it is a rare casual, and that V. speciosum is
introduced and similar and sometimes naturalises itself.

http://www.plantpress.com/wildlife/o...arymullein.php
http://www.hlasek.com/verbascum_speciosum_685.html

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.