Old 03-07-2008, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Huge mullein

I'm familiar with the usual wild mulleins, with the single spike of
flowers, but never seen one like this before. It's about 2.5 meters tall
and growing 'wild' on a bank where I work.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/james.ford60/mullein.jpg

Identification anyone, please?

Jim
Old 03-07-2008, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Jim Ford writes
I'm familiar with the usual wild mulleins, with the single spike of
flowers, but never seen one like this before. It's about 2.5 meters tall
and growing 'wild' on a bank where I work.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/james.ford60/mullein.jpg

Identification anyone, please?

You could try Hoary mullein, V pulverulentum. It's branched and quite
big. According to Fitter, only in E Anglia, though I was at a nature
reserve in Derbys at yesterday and I'm sure the warden claimed that the
large branched mulleins on the steep sides of the valley were hoary
mullein.
--
Kay
Old 03-07-2008, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
K writes:
| Jim Ford writes
| I'm familiar with the usual wild mulleins, with the single spike of
| flowers, but never seen one like this before. It's about 2.5 meters tall
| and growing 'wild' on a bank where I work.
|
| http://homepage.ntlworld.com/james.ford60/mullein.jpg
|
| Identification anyone, please?
|
| You could try Hoary mullein, V pulverulentum. It's branched and quite
| big. According to Fitter, only in E Anglia, though I was at a nature
| reserve in Derbys at yesterday and I'm sure the warden claimed that the
| large branched mulleins on the steep sides of the valley were hoary
| mullein.

The pictures certainly match. But it is the sort of plant that is
likely to be an escape from wild garden schemes. Clapham, Tutin
and Warburg says that it is a rare casual, and that V. speciosum is
introduced and similar and sometimes naturalises itself.

http://www.plantpress.com/wildlife/o...arymullein.php
http://www.hlasek.com/verbascum_speciosum_685.html

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
K writes:
| Jim Ford writes
| I'm familiar with the usual wild mulleins, with the single spike of
| flowers, but never seen one like this before. It's about 2.5 meters tall
| and growing 'wild' on a bank where I work.
|
| http://homepage.ntlworld.com/james.ford60/mullein.jpg
|
| Identification anyone, please?
|
| You could try Hoary mullein, V pulverulentum. It's branched and quite
| big. According to Fitter, only in E Anglia, though I was at a nature
| reserve in Derbys at yesterday and I'm sure the warden claimed that the
| large branched mulleins on the steep sides of the valley were hoary
| mullein.

The pictures certainly match. But it is the sort of plant that is
likely to be an escape from wild garden schemes. Clapham, Tutin
and Warburg says that it is a rare casual, and that V. speciosum is
introduced and similar and sometimes naturalises itself.

http://www.plantpress.com/wildlife/o...arymullein.php
http://www.hlasek.com/verbascum_speciosum_685.html

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I haven't looked at any pictures, but Stace also mentions V. pyramidatum
(casual in S. England), V. chaixii (casual in S. Britain) and V.
speciosum (casual in Kent and East Anglia) and V. lychnitis as having
well branched inflorescences. V. lychnitis has yellow flowers around
Minehead, and casually elsewhere.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley