Old 04-07-2008, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Blight - Grrrrrr

This morning a neighbour reported blight on his spuds. The allotments are
only 50 metres from the house, so a quick look confirmed blight on 3 rows
each of my 1st and 2nd earlies. There are 3 rows of 'lates' but I guess
they'll follow soon.

I was a bit late in planting this year (10th April) so the foliage is only
between 1 and 2 feet high. Will lift a few later, but not expecting much of
a crop. Had blight last year, but it arrived in mid Aug, so had a
reasonable-ish crop.

I'm don't like to spray, but if these cool damp Summers are going to be
around again, may have to resort to it. Thinking to next year - are there
any allowable chemicals available on the market?

Bertie