Old 04-07-2008, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blight - Grrrrrr

This morning a neighbour reported blight on his spuds. The allotments are
only 50 metres from the house, so a quick look confirmed blight on 3 rows
each of my 1st and 2nd earlies. There are 3 rows of 'lates' but I guess
they'll follow soon.

I was a bit late in planting this year (10th April) so the foliage is only
between 1 and 2 feet high. Will lift a few later, but not expecting much of
a crop. Had blight last year, but it arrived in mid Aug, so had a
reasonable-ish crop.

I'm don't like to spray, but if these cool damp Summers are going to be
around again, may have to resort to it. Thinking to next year - are there
any allowable chemicals available on the market?

Bertie

Old 04-07-2008, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
This morning a neighbour reported blight on his spuds. The allotments are
only 50 metres from the house, so a quick look confirmed blight on 3 rows
each of my 1st and 2nd earlies. There are 3 rows of 'lates' but I guess
they'll follow soon.

I was a bit late in planting this year (10th April) so the foliage is only
between 1 and 2 feet high. Will lift a few later, but not expecting much
of a crop. Had blight last year, but it arrived in mid Aug, so had a
reasonable-ish crop.

I'm don't like to spray, but if these cool damp Summers are going to be
around again, may have to resort to it. Thinking to next year - are there
any allowable chemicals available on the market?

Bertie

where are you, we haven't got any yet and I was hopeful that it would be a
better year this year. Expect you know but if it is definitely blight you
want to cut off the haulms of the infected ones to stop it spreading down to
the tubers.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote ...
This morning a neighbour reported blight on his spuds. The allotments are
only 50 metres from the house, so a quick look confirmed blight on 3 rows
each of my 1st and 2nd earlies. There are 3 rows of 'lates' but I guess
they'll follow soon.

I was a bit late in planting this year (10th April) so the foliage is only
between 1 and 2 feet high. Will lift a few later, but not expecting much
of a crop. Had blight last year, but it arrived in mid Aug, so had a
reasonable-ish crop.

I'm don't like to spray, but if these cool damp Summers are going to be
around again, may have to resort to it. Thinking to next year - are there
any allowable chemicals available on the market?

Damp? Not around here, yesterday we had half an hours rain and a bit of
drizzle, the first proper rain for a few weeks.

Any blight infested spuds left in the ground from last year will spread the
blight to your present crop, do you think this is what has happened? Or
perhaps it happened on the allotments and it's come your way with the
wind/rain.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-07-2008, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

[...]

30 miles West of you, just outside Liskeard. Yep I've been chopping the
haulms off. One plus about the recent rain, Tuesday I planted in total, 200
9ins high, caulies, brocolli, savoys and harvest cabbage.

Bertie

Old 04-07-2008, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Damp? Not around here, yesterday we had half an hours rain and a bit of
drizzle, the first proper rain for a few weeks.

Any blight infested spuds left in the ground from last year will spread
the blight to your present crop, do you think this is what has happened?
Or perhaps it happened on the allotments and it's come your way with the
wind/rain.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17 miles west of London. UK

Both myself and my neighbour, planted in different areas of the allotment,
than the blighted areas of 2007. His got the first signs on Tueday and mine
this morning. However, my experience with 'blight years' is : when one
allotment gets it, we all get it - regardless of variety.

Bertie

Old 04-07-2008, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

[...]

Well we'll both be battening down the hatches at the moment then and
tomorrow, there's half a hurricane blowing out there

Old 04-07-2008, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Damp? Not around here, yesterday we had half an hours rain and a bit of
drizzle, the first proper rain for a few weeks.

Regards
Bob Hobden
17 miles west of London. UK

The problem is when Continental Highs hang around over France, the Atlantic
fronts, stack up against them, often stationary over the West Country. When
the Highs decide to drift off East, the fronts follow in their wake, but
most of the water has already been dumped (on us), so in the SE you may only
experience a shower or a bit of drizzle from these fronts.

If you look at the Met Office survey for June, you'll note that the SW got
double the England average. We got triple the W.Scotland rainfall - an area
famous for being damp. As for N.Ireland - almost a drought!!
http://preview.tinyurl.com/643786

Bertie

Old 04-07-2008, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

where are you, we haven't got any yet and I was hopeful that it would
be a better year this year.

30 miles West of you, just outside Liskeard. Bertie

Well we'll both be battening down the hatches at the moment then and
tomorrow, there's half a hurricane blowing out there

Yes the farming forecast has been giving warnings. I managed to tie my
French 'Blue Lake' climbers to the poles. They look a bit sad at 30cm high.
Most of my neighbouring allotmenteers, have gone for the English varieties
and they're almost 2 metres high!!! - (the beans) :-)

Bertie

Old 04-07-2008, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
If you look at the Met Office survey for June,
http://preview.tinyurl.com/643786

Bertie

Edit : oops May not June.

Bertie