Old 04-07-2008, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\)[_208_] Robert \(Plymouth\)[_208_] is offline

Default Blight - Grrrrrr

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
This morning a neighbour reported blight on his spuds. The allotments are
only 50 metres from the house, so a quick look confirmed blight on 3 rows
each of my 1st and 2nd earlies. There are 3 rows of 'lates' but I guess
they'll follow soon.

I was a bit late in planting this year (10th April) so the foliage is only
between 1 and 2 feet high. Will lift a few later, but not expecting much
of a crop. Had blight last year, but it arrived in mid Aug, so had a
reasonable-ish crop.

I'm don't like to spray, but if these cool damp Summers are going to be
around again, may have to resort to it. Thinking to next year - are there
any allowable chemicals available on the market?

Bertie

where are you, we haven't got any yet and I was hopeful that it would be a
better year this year. Expect you know but if it is definitely blight you
want to cut off the haulms of the infected ones to stop it spreading down to
the tubers.