Old 04-07-2008, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Blight - Grrrrrr

"Bertie Doe" wrote ...
This morning a neighbour reported blight on his spuds. The allotments are
only 50 metres from the house, so a quick look confirmed blight on 3 rows
each of my 1st and 2nd earlies. There are 3 rows of 'lates' but I guess
they'll follow soon.

I was a bit late in planting this year (10th April) so the foliage is only
between 1 and 2 feet high. Will lift a few later, but not expecting much
of a crop. Had blight last year, but it arrived in mid Aug, so had a
reasonable-ish crop.

I'm don't like to spray, but if these cool damp Summers are going to be
around again, may have to resort to it. Thinking to next year - are there
any allowable chemicals available on the market?

Damp? Not around here, yesterday we had half an hours rain and a bit of
drizzle, the first proper rain for a few weeks.

Any blight infested spuds left in the ground from last year will spread the
blight to your present crop, do you think this is what has happened? Or
perhaps it happened on the allotments and it's come your way with the
wind/rain.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden