Old 04-07-2008, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\)[_213_] Robert \(Plymouth\)[_213_] is offline

Default Blight - Grrrrrr

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

This morning a neighbour reported blight on his spuds. The allotments
are only 50 metres from the house, so a quick look confirmed blight on 3
rows each of my 1st and 2nd earlies. There are 3 rows of 'lates' but I
guess they'll follow soon.

I was a bit late in planting this year (10th April) so the foliage is
only between 1 and 2 feet high. Will lift a few later, but not expecting
much of a crop. Had blight last year, but it arrived in mid Aug, so had
a reasonable-ish crop.

I'm don't like to spray, but if these cool damp Summers are going to be
around again, may have to resort to it. Thinking to next year - are
there any allowable chemicals available on the market?

Bertie

where are you, we haven't got any yet and I was hopeful that it would be
a better year this year. Expect you know but if it is definitely blight
you want to cut off the haulms of the infected ones to stop it spreading
down to the tubers.

30 miles West of you, just outside Liskeard. Yep I've been chopping the
haulms off. One plus about the recent rain, Tuesday I planted in total,
200 9ins high, caulies, brocolli, savoys and harvest cabbage.

Bertie

Well we'll both be battening down the hatches at the moment then and
tomorrow, there's half a hurricane blowing out there