Old 07-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Tracey

Default birdhouse gourds

Just wondering if it is a nice looking plant

My one and only experience with birdhouse gourds was
in MN. I planted four of them around the posts of a
small fenced area (it held our trashcan). The rest
of the area I planted with morning glories. For
whatever reason (the ground might not have been
fertile enough, there were other plants besides the
morning glories in the area that might have inhibited
their growth, I tried to train them up the post/trellis
instead of letting them flop on the ground, etc.,)
the plants survived but did not go crazy with growth
like I've seen others' do. The plant itself wasn't
bad looking, but it was nothing to crow about. Again,
this might have been because of my growing conditions,
but I was glad that I had put the morning glories there,
too, because I don't think I would have liked having
just the gourds there. They wouldn't have covered the
trellis like the MGs did.

Tracey