Old 06-07-2008, 04:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default What to do about suckers

In article ,
Joe wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Kurt Ullman said:

I have a Hawthorn and two crabapples that are getting those little
growths that look like small limbs growing out of the roots. Putting
down the plastic liner (or whatever it is made out of) doesn't work. I
would like to use something that would kill the suckers while obviously
leaving the tree intact. Any suggestions?
Good, sharp hand-pruners.

Any other suggestions. We are currently spending about an hour a week
using the hand pruners and they continue to spread.

lawnmower

Thanks. Actually that hasn't worked either, especially in the beds.
Can't get the lawnmower up there, even then I mow high enough that it
doesn't help all that much.
Any chemical suggestions or would the trees be too fragile?