Old 06-07-2008, 02:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default What to do about suckers

I have a Hawthorn and two crabapples that are getting those little
growths that look like small limbs growing out of the roots. Putting
down the plastic liner (or whatever it is made out of) doesn't work. I
would like to use something that would kill the suckers while obviously
leaving the tree intact. Any suggestions?
Old 06-07-2008, 03:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Kurt Ullman said:

I have a Hawthorn and two crabapples that are getting those little
growths that look like small limbs growing out of the roots. Putting
down the plastic liner (or whatever it is made out of) doesn't work. I
would like to use something that would kill the suckers while obviously
leaving the tree intact. Any suggestions?

Good, sharp hand-pruners.
--

Eggs

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

In article ,
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Kurt Ullman said:

I have a Hawthorn and two crabapples that are getting those little
growths that look like small limbs growing out of the roots. Putting
down the plastic liner (or whatever it is made out of) doesn't work. I
would like to use something that would kill the suckers while obviously
leaving the tree intact. Any suggestions?

Good, sharp hand-pruners.

Any other suggestions. We are currently spending about an hour a week
using the hand pruners and they continue to spread.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

In article ,
Joe wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Kurt Ullman said:

I have a Hawthorn and two crabapples that are getting those little
growths that look like small limbs growing out of the roots. Putting
down the plastic liner (or whatever it is made out of) doesn't work. I
would like to use something that would kill the suckers while obviously
leaving the tree intact. Any suggestions?
Good, sharp hand-pruners.

Any other suggestions. We are currently spending about an hour a week
using the hand pruners and they continue to spread.

lawnmower

Thanks. Actually that hasn't worked either, especially in the beds.
Can't get the lawnmower up there, even then I mow high enough that it
doesn't help all that much.
Any chemical suggestions or would the trees be too fragile?

Old 06-07-2008, 06:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Kurt Ullman said:

In article ,
Joe wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Kurt Ullman said:

I have a Hawthorn and two crabapples that are getting those little
growths that look like small limbs growing out of the roots. Putting
down the plastic liner (or whatever it is made out of) doesn't work. I
would like to use something that would kill the suckers while obviously
leaving the tree intact. Any suggestions?
Good, sharp hand-pruners.

Any other suggestions. We are currently spending about an hour a week
using the hand pruners and they continue to spread.

lawnmower

Thanks. Actually that hasn't worked either, especially in the beds.
Can't get the lawnmower up there, even then I mow high enough that it
doesn't help all that much.
Any chemical suggestions or would the trees be too fragile?

That's how they grow, man. There's really not a lot you can do, other than
you've been doing. How old are they?
--

Eggs

-Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before
you need it.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

In article ,
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Kurt Ullman said:

In article ,
Joe wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Kurt Ullman said:

I have a Hawthorn and two crabapples that are getting those little
growths that look like small limbs growing out of the roots. Putting
down the plastic liner (or whatever it is made out of) doesn't work. I
would like to use something that would kill the suckers while obviously
leaving the tree intact. Any suggestions?
Good, sharp hand-pruners.

Any other suggestions. We are currently spending about an hour a week
using the hand pruners and they continue to spread.

lawnmower

Thanks. Actually that hasn't worked either, especially in the beds.
Can't get the lawnmower up there, even then I mow high enough that it
doesn't help all that much.
Any chemical suggestions or would the trees be too fragile?

That's how they grow, man. There's really not a lot you can do, other than
you've been doing. How old are they?

Approaching 20 years. But they seem to have really gotten out of
hand just over the last 3-4 and have just recently begun to annoy us.
Probably because we are getting older, too (g).
Old 07-07-2008, 02:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Pat Pat is offline

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
I have a Hawthorn and two crabapples that are getting those little
growths that look like small limbs growing out of the roots. Putting
down the plastic liner (or whatever it is made out of) doesn't work. I
would like to use something that would kill the suckers while obviously
leaving the tree intact. Any suggestions?

I been spraying suckers with Garlon. Seems to kill the suckers and trees
both. Quite large trees actually. Glad to get rid of them.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:09 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I have been using a product called sucker-stopper RTU
for a few years on some fairly young trees with no ill
effects so far....I believe its made by Monterey.

Lawn and Garden Products 1-559-499-2100

Old 11-07-2008, 08:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
z z is offline

On Jul 6, 9:17*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
*I have a Hawthorn and two crabapples that are getting those little
growths that look like small limbs growing out of the roots. Putting
down the plastic liner (or whatever it is made out of) doesn't work. I
would like to use something that would kill the suckers while obviously
leaving the tree intact. Any suggestions?

don't know about trees, but the advice for roses is to not just cut
the sucker, but dig down and try and break it off where it connects
to the root so the "eye" (i'm thinking potato) or whatever they call
the growing point on the root is removed. of course, it will just
develop another one, but that takes longer.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:50 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

granpa said there was a sucker born every minute.

Old 31-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Registered User

I've been using a product called Sucker, stopper RTU's Years, some younger trees, not sick. So far I believe it is the effect of Monterrey.
Pond Supplies

Are these "suckers?" Radika Kesavan Roses 2 30-04-2003 05:56 PM
Are these \"suckers?\" Emil Roses 0 29-04-2003 08:20 PM
Sycamore suckers again Annabel United Kingdom 4 24-02-2003 10:09 AM
suckers froggie Gardening 2 23-02-2003 04:03 PM
[IBC] Suckers as cuttings Neal Ross Bonsai 2 13-02-2003 02:55 AM