Old 06-07-2008, 06:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
D Kat D Kat is offline

Default Baby Fishes Questions

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
Donna is right about color change. It happens when they get ready to
do it. We have a couple of black comets that are fully 2 years old.
The last of their mates changed color this winter. We await their
change and enjoy our herd-to-see black goldfish.

How steep are the sides of your pond? Coons and wading birds don't
like steep sides. Our main pond is 2' deep and has straight sides.
The berm ponds are 18" and have straight sides. The coons and herons
just won't go in. We like that! They do fish the small 2' x 4'
shallow pond at the base of our small falls. They wade in and wipe
out floating plants, etc. If your pond is shallow or the sides
shallow, you may have to go for lots of hiding places and floaters to
provide shelter. Others will have better advice.

Have you any pics of your setup?

Jim

You just reminded me and what I forgot to include - for my 'hidey hole' what
I use and what serves two purposes is a plastic crate - similar to a milk
crate turned on its side or upside down. Upside down protects baby fish
from big fish - on the side gives large fish a place to hide from birds. I
then put my plants that need to be high up on these 'shelves'. I don't have
raccoon problems because I now do as Jim recommends (probably learned it
from Jim), which is to dig the sides of the ponds straight down.

Donna