Old 05-07-2008, 10:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Baby Fishes Questions

I am second year ponder and do not know whole lot, and wonder if you all
might answer few questions for me....Last year started with 3 pond comets
and 3 not sure what they are called - multi colored some kind of goldfish I
think - A couple weeks ago noticed several baby fish which are now average
1 inch or so. I have netted about 2 dozen and put in small tank in house -
still lots more in pond though .....3 are pinkish colored and most all the
rest I have seen are sort of dark green/black colored........

So I am wanting to know will the darker fish change color (found 1 baby back
in April that must have survived the winter...that fish was all brown, it is
now about 3 inches and did not change color.

What to do with all these baby fish? I would like to keep the pretty ones,
only have 300 gal pond though. How many fish for this size pond and how big
will they get?

one other issue..

Two of my pond comets vanished three weeks ago, I assume a racoon or heron
got them so I have covered Pond with wire fencing laid on top of 2X4's which
has been effective so far......I would like to remove fencing but do not
want to loose any more fish. Any advise. Thanks much........

Old 06-07-2008, 07:28 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

yes they will change color - be patient as this can take some time and
varies from fish to fish. the fry (baby fish) will also be eaten if they do
not have sufficient cover in the pond (plants and hidey holes). not
necessarily a bad thing given you don't want your pond over-populated. what
you may have are shubunkin by the by and they are smaller than regular
comets - about 8". I simply leave my fish be and between birds, adult
fish, - well life - the pond pretty much keeps a constant population. if
this is not working for you then you might check with pet stores or see if
there is a local pond group to help you out. it depends on how well
balanced your pond is on how many fish you can keep but you can estimate 1
inch of goldfish for 1 cubic foot of water. I think you have about 70 cubic
feet (little more than that but keep it simple) - so if your fish are going
to get 8" you could keep about 9 fish is my guess - there are much better
fish people in here that will answer you shortly.

you can get bird netting for fruit plants, which is black plastic and not at
all noticeable, to put on top of your pond but you may want to let nature
take its course.

Donna

Old 06-07-2008, 03:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Donna is right about color change. It happens when they get ready to
do it. We have a couple of black comets that are fully 2 years old.
The last of their mates changed color this winter. We await their
change and enjoy our herd-to-see black goldfish.

How steep are the sides of your pond? Coons and wading birds don't
like steep sides. Our main pond is 2' deep and has straight sides.
The berm ponds are 18" and have straight sides. The coons and herons
just won't go in. We like that! They do fish the small 2' x 4'
shallow pond at the base of our small falls. They wade in and wipe
out floating plants, etc. If your pond is shallow or the sides
shallow, you may have to go for lots of hiding places and floaters to
provide shelter. Others will have better advice.

Have you any pics of your setup?

Jim

Old 06-07-2008, 06:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
Donna is right about color change. It happens when they get ready to
do it. We have a couple of black comets that are fully 2 years old.
The last of their mates changed color this winter. We await their
change and enjoy our herd-to-see black goldfish.

How steep are the sides of your pond? Coons and wading birds don't
like steep sides. Our main pond is 2' deep and has straight sides.
The berm ponds are 18" and have straight sides. The coons and herons
just won't go in. We like that! They do fish the small 2' x 4'
shallow pond at the base of our small falls. They wade in and wipe
out floating plants, etc. If your pond is shallow or the sides
shallow, you may have to go for lots of hiding places and floaters to
provide shelter. Others will have better advice.

Have you any pics of your setup?

Jim

You just reminded me and what I forgot to include - for my 'hidey hole' what
I use and what serves two purposes is a plastic crate - similar to a milk
crate turned on its side or upside down. Upside down protects baby fish
from big fish - on the side gives large fish a place to hide from birds. I
then put my plants that need to be high up on these 'shelves'. I don't have
raccoon problems because I now do as Jim recommends (probably learned it
from Jim), which is to dig the sides of the ponds straight down.

Donna

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

2 baby koi, 1 baby plant ~ janj Ponds 6 14-05-2006 12:42 AM
Am I going to kill All my Fishes? Aqua Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 05:56 AM
I Saw My fishes today!!!!!!!!!! :) MISSYMAGICGIRL Ponds 3 17-03-2003 12:44 AM
Other Fishes?!?!? BenignVanilla Ponds 5 12-03-2003 12:49 AM
Am I going to kill All my Fishes? Aqua Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 22-02-2003 07:00 AM