Old 07-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Timothy

Default Climbing Hydrangea

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:02:01 +0000, Brs36 wrote:

Hi,
Last year I planted a climbing hydrangea at the base of an unused motor
hoist in my backyard. I see that the hydrangea lasted the winter and is
starting to green. Right now I have it climbing (if you can call a 12
inch plant climbing) the small trellis that came in the pot when I
bought the plant. Hopefully, this plant will out grow it. If and when
it does, I'd like to get the hydrangea to climb up the motor hoist. Any
thoughts as to how I could get that to happen? The hoist itself is
metal and too slick for the hydrangea to climb on its own. I was think
of making some kind of wire structure to support it on its way up. Other
possibilities?

i'd have to say that your zone is 7a or 7b.Either or should work 80)
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-ne1.html

It was requested by one of my customers to plant climbing hydrangea on 3
down spouts on their property. I ended up wraping 3 foot tall chicken
wire around the pipe and zip tied the climbing hydrangea (loosly mind you)
to the wire. It took 2 seasons for the climbing hydrangea to cover the 3
foot wire. They somewhat attach themselves to the wire... I do the rest
with bread bag ties and zip ties. Good luck.

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com