Old 07-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Drakanthus

Default Runner beans

Has anyone ever tried growing runner beans in a grow-bag? We have a
lovely sheltered wall which would be ideal for them, but where there
is no possibility of a bed, and I just wondered if I could use a
grow-bag instead.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK

In an attempt to get more garden space (the veg plot is bursting at the seams
already) I plan growing some runner beans in large containers on my drive, three
per pot trained up canes in a wig-wam fashion. Wickes sell large black tubs with
white rope handles for the building trade, these are quite cheap and ideal as pots
(capacity about 60 litres) but need a number of holes drilling in the bottom for
drainage though.
I will half fill the tubs with home made compost and the remainder garden soil.
The important thing with runner beans is to keep them well watered - especially in
containers where they have a limited supply. The containers will need watering
every day in Summer.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)