Old 05-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Sally Thompson

Default Runner beans

Has anyone ever tried growing runner beans in a grow-bag? We have a
lovely sheltered wall which would be ideal for them, but where there
is no possibility of a bed, and I just wondered if I could use a
grow-bag instead.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Remove the LIZARD to email reply
Old 05-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Little Badger

Sally
Of course you can!
I myself grow them in a container filled with growbag compost!

Badger

Old 05-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Sally Thompson

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 22:14:58 +0100, "Little Badger"
wrote:

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message

Has anyone ever tried growing runner beans in a grow-bag? We have a
lovely sheltered wall which would be ideal for them, but where there
is no possibility of a bed, and I just wondered if I could use a
grow-bag instead.

Sally
Of course you can!
I myself grow them in a container filled with growbag compost!

Badger

Thanks, Badger - off to buy the seeds (well perhaps not tonight!).

Old 06-04-2003, 08:21 AM
Roberto

Not actually in a growbag though surely?! It's far too small

Robert The Beachcomber
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/robert_brimacombe

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
: On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 22:14:58 +0100, "Little Badger"
: wrote:
:
: "Sally Thompson" wrote in
message
: ...
:
: Has anyone ever tried growing runner beans in a grow-bag? We have a
: lovely sheltered wall which would be ideal for them, but where there
: is no possibility of a bed, and I just wondered if I could use a
: grow-bag instead.
:
: Sally
: Of course you can!
: I myself grow them in a container filled with growbag compost!
:
: Badger
:
: Thanks, Badger - off to buy the seeds (well perhaps not tonight!).
:
: --

Old 06-04-2003, 10:45 AM
Little Badger

Rob
A growbag is sufficiently big enough (of course it depends on how many
plants you are putting into it)!

I'm a big container vegatable grower and have succeded growing things like
marrows and potatos (will soon be harvesting these for Easter) in, not
massive, containers!

An average growbag contains 33 Litres of compost which is plenty!

Badger

"Roberto" wrote in message
Not actually in a growbag though surely?! It's far too small

Robert The Beachcomber
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/robert_brimacombe

"Sally Thompson" wrote in

message
: On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 22:14:58 +0100, "Little Badger"
: wrote:
:
: "Sally Thompson" wrote in
message
: ...
:

Old 06-04-2003, 11:57 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sally Thompson wrote:

Has anyone ever tried growing runner beans in a grow-bag? We have a
lovely sheltered wall which would be ideal for them, but where there
is no possibility of a bed, and I just wondered if I could use a
grow-bag instead.

I suggest climbing French beans rather than runners. Runners are very
sensitive to becoming dry at the roots, and respond by dropping their
flowers; French beans are adapted to drier conditions, and need a
smaller root run anyway.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:32 PM
bnd777

I would suggest you would be better off with deep containers full of muck in
the base
Runner beans are hungry feeders and like a moist root run

Old 06-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Little Badger

Turn the grow bag on it's end if you have no container!
Works a treat for tomatos too!

Badger

Old 07-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Drakanthus

Has anyone ever tried growing runner beans in a grow-bag? We have a
lovely sheltered wall which would be ideal for them, but where there
is no possibility of a bed, and I just wondered if I could use a
grow-bag instead.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK

In an attempt to get more garden space (the veg plot is bursting at the seams
already) I plan growing some runner beans in large containers on my drive, three
per pot trained up canes in a wig-wam fashion. Wickes sell large black tubs with
white rope handles for the building trade, these are quite cheap and ideal as pots
(capacity about 60 litres) but need a number of holes drilling in the bottom for
drainage though.
I will half fill the tubs with home made compost and the remainder garden soil.
The important thing with runner beans is to keep them well watered - especially in
containers where they have a limited supply. The containers will need watering
every day in Summer.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 07-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Sally Thompson

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 18:48:48 +0100, "Drakanthus"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Drakanthus and all of you for your comments. We think instead
we will put some wigwams in our border where our hedge is still an
infant, utilising some nice soil and providing a screen at the same
time (and providing some runner beans as well, I hope!).

The reference to the soil is because most of our land consists of coal
and clay except where we have imported some top soil (and now have a
nice large heap of horse manure to add to it, thanks to a generous
friend with a large horse who thinks we're doing *her* a favour.)

Old 07-04-2003, 11:20 PM
shazzbat

wrote:

[...]

You may well be doing just that, depending on where you live in relation to
numbers of gardens or horses in the vicinity. Some places have signs up
selling manure at up to £1/bag, but here we have riding schools and
allsorts, and they have signs up practically begging us to take it away.One
lane has three schools or farms stabling several horses within the space of
half a mile, and they're in competition to get rid of it, or they'll have to
pay.

Old 08-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Sally Thompson

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 23:10:31 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message

snip
The reference to the soil is because most of our land consists of coal
and clay except where we have imported some top soil (and now have a
nice large heap of horse manure to add to it, thanks to a generous
friend with a large horse who thinks we're doing *her* a favour.)

You may well be doing just that, depending on where you live in relation to
numbers of gardens or horses in the vicinity. Some places have signs up
selling manure at up to £1/bag, but here we have riding schools and
allsorts, and they have signs up practically begging us to take it away.One
lane has three schools or farms stabling several horses within the space of
half a mile, and they're in competition to get rid of it, or they'll have to
pay.

Yes indeed, lots and lots of horses around here in South Shropshire.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Remove the LIZARD to email reply

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 11:38 AM
Is a runner bean a runner bean lloyd United Kingdom 9 28-09-2009 10:12 PM
Runner Beans mark United Kingdom 27 01-05-2009 10:37 PM
Runner Beans - No Beans ! Mike United Kingdom 10 02-09-2004 04:17 PM
Runner Beans, lots of flowers but no beans X United Kingdom 6 19-06-2003 09:32 AM