Old 08-07-2008, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Anne Welsh Jackson Anne Welsh Jackson is offline

Default obediance plant

Gordon H wrote:
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
Dorry writes
I have bought an "obediance plant" - (sorry, only name I was given.) -
A friend has told me it can spread uncontrollably like a weed - so i
have put it in a large pot, instead of my border. Can it also spread
easily by seed?

The usual plant that goes by the name of obedient (sic) plant is
Physostegia virginiana. I suspect that it is invasive in the US, rather
than here, but perhaps someone with experience of the plant will chime
in.

I have some in my garden, and it does spread! I bought it in a
small pot from a nursery, because I was intrigued by the fact that the
tiny trumpets can be swivelled round the stem to a certain extent and
remain at the angle it was placed. Hence the "obedient plant". :-)

Damn! Now I've de-lurked I must introduce myself elsewhere!

Hello Gordon

--
AnneJ