Old 07-07-2008, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default obediance plant

I have bought an "obediance plant" - (sorry, only name I was given.) - A
friend has told me it can spread uncontrollably like a weed - so i have put
it in a large pot, instead of my border. Can it also spread easily by seed?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Dorry
writes
I have bought an "obediance plant" - (sorry, only name I was given.) -
A friend has told me it can spread uncontrollably like a weed - so i
have put it in a large pot, instead of my border. Can it also spread
easily by seed?

The usual plant that goes by the name of obedient (sic) plant is
Physostegia virginiana. I suspect that it is invasive in the US, rather
than here, but perhaps someone with experience of the plant will chime
in.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 07-07-2008, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dorry" wrote in message
I have bought an "obediance plant" - (sorry, only name I was given.) - A
friend has told me it can spread uncontrollably like a weed - so i have put
it in a large pot, instead of my border. Can it also spread easily by seed?

I would be happy to have it in my garden, its very pretty!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
In message , Dorry
writes
I have bought an "obediance plant" - (sorry, only name I was given.) -
A friend has told me it can spread uncontrollably like a weed - so i
have put it in a large pot, instead of my border. Can it also spread
easily by seed?

The usual plant that goes by the name of obedient (sic) plant is
Physostegia virginiana. I suspect that it is invasive in the US, rather
than here, but perhaps someone with experience of the plant will chime
in.

I had to erradicate it, it went everywhere but allthough I originally
grew it from seed I seem to remember the spread was not from self sowing.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 08-07-2008, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message , Dorry
writes
I have bought an "obediance plant" - (sorry, only name I was given.) -
A friend has told me it can spread uncontrollably like a weed - so i
have put it in a large pot, instead of my border. Can it also spread
easily by seed?

The usual plant that goes by the name of obedient (sic) plant is
Physostegia virginiana. I suspect that it is invasive in the US, rather
than here, but perhaps someone with experience of the plant will chime
in.

I have some in my garden, and it does spread! I bought it in a
small pot from a nursery, because I was intrigued by the fact that the
tiny trumpets can be swivelled round the stem to a certain extent and
remain at the angle it was placed. Hence the "obedient plant". :-)

Damn! Now I've de-lurked I must introduce myself elsewhere!
--
Gordon H

Old 08-07-2008, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote:
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
Dorry writes
I have bought an "obediance plant" - (sorry, only name I was given.) -
A friend has told me it can spread uncontrollably like a weed - so i
have put it in a large pot, instead of my border. Can it also spread
easily by seed?

The usual plant that goes by the name of obedient (sic) plant is
Physostegia virginiana. I suspect that it is invasive in the US, rather
than here, but perhaps someone with experience of the plant will chime
in.

I have some in my garden, and it does spread! I bought it in a
small pot from a nursery, because I was intrigued by the fact that the
tiny trumpets can be swivelled round the stem to a certain extent and
remain at the angle it was placed. Hence the "obedient plant". :-)

Damn! Now I've de-lurked I must introduce myself elsewhere!

Hello Gordon

--
AnneJ
Old 09-07-2008, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Anne Welsh Jackson
writes
Gordon H wrote:

Physostegia virginiana.

I have some in my garden, and it does spread! I bought it in a
small pot from a nursery, because I was intrigued by the fact that the
tiny trumpets can be swivelled round the stem to a certain extent and
remain at the angle it was placed. Hence the "obedient plant". :-)

Damn! Now I've de-lurked I must introduce myself elsewhere!

Hello Gordon

Hi Anne! I expect to pick up more info than I "propagate" on this
knowledgeable group. :-)
--
Gordon H
Old 09-07-2008, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sheila" wrote in message
om...

"Dorry" wrote in message
I have bought an "obediance plant" - (sorry, only name I was given.) - A
friend has told me it can spread uncontrollably like a weed - so i have
put it in a large pot, instead of my border. Can it also spread easily by
seed?

I would be happy to have it in my garden, its very pretty!

So would I, but my last plant disappeared without trace. I would be
delighted if it spread around as I have many friends who would be glad of a
chunk. Has any one noticed if it is a favourtie on the slug menu? Just
trying to account for its disappearance. If its not on the menu, I'll give
it another try.

Spider