Old 07-04-2003, 07:32 PM
jcart003

Default Peony - when to plant

(Iris Cohen) wrote in message ...
I received 20 dormant peony cuttings. I'm in zone 5 and the ground is still
frozen/muddy.

Oh, dear. The prope time to plant peonies is September. Keep them in a garage
so they will stay dormant until your soil is workable. Then heel them in in a
growin bed as soon as possible. Plant them properly in the fall. Or ask your
extension agent about the best practice in your area.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

You have the peonies now, so swallow hard and plant them now, don't
try and heal them in for an entire growing season, you gain nothing
and lose the growth!
Take care with the buds, don't break them off! Remove any flower buds
that form, water and fertilize well and enjoy the plants!
Technically fall would have been a better time to plant, but in
areas of cool summers it isn't such a big deal. They may take longer
to get into full swing (4 years in the best of times) but they will do
fine!!! And give them PLENTY of room!!! they should have 3-4 feet
between plants!! After all they are permanent!!
DO NOT LET ANY OF THOSE BUDS FLOWER!!! and I would suggest pinching
out 1/2 of the buds next year also.... but that is asking a lot!!! I
have 1/4 acre of peonies that I used for cut flowers (to sell) and I
had to pinch out the buds for 4 long years to get the plants
strong.... and it turns out that "Here and Now Gardens" of Oregon (I
still need to vent a bit!) sent the wrong varieties!!! It took 4 years
to find out...............
Good luck and enjoy!!!!