Old 07-04-2003, 12:44 AM

Default Peony - when to plant

ahhhh.. what does the seller recommend you do with them until they can be planted? I
guess I would refrigerate them for a couple weeks. I dont think you can expect them
to bloom this year, or next year, but the year after. I just got some outrageous
peonies last fall and am going to be happy to see good looking leaves. be absolutely
sure you follow directions for planting as there are tree peonies and bush and they
require somewhat different planting. Ingrid

Steve Glines wrote:
I received 20 dormant peony cuttings. I'm in zone 5 and the ground is
still frozen/muddy. My question is this: When can I plant my peony roots
and can I expect them to bloom this year?

Thanks
SG

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Iris Cohen

I received 20 dormant peony cuttings. I'm in zone 5 and the ground is still
frozen/muddy.

Oh, dear. The prope time to plant peonies is September. Keep them in a garage
so they will stay dormant until your soil is workable. Then heel them in in a
growin bed as soon as possible. Plant them properly in the fall. Or ask your
extension agent about the best practice in your area.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 07-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Pam

Iris Cohen wrote:

I received 20 dormant peony cuttings. I'm in zone 5 and the ground is still
frozen/muddy.

Oh, dear. The prope time to plant peonies is September. Keep them in a garage
so they will stay dormant until your soil is workable. Then heel them in in a
growin bed as soon as possible. Plant them properly in the fall. Or ask your
extension agent about the best practice in your area.

The "need" to wait to plant peonies in the fall is an old wive's tale. There is
absolutely no reason why they can't be planted (divided, even transplanted) in
spring, when they are most commonly available. The only concern is that they not
be planted too deeply and are kept well watered during the summer. It often takes
time for them to mature enough to develop blossoms, but I have had success with
first year peonies blooming. I have a fernleaf coming into bud now that was
planted last season - bloomed last year, too.

pam - gardengal

Old 07-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Steve Glines

They were from a friend who divided them last fall and kept them in his
garage over winter. He doesn't know what to do with them either. I put
them in my bulkhead to keep them dormant. These are bush peony. Bright
reds and whites. I haven't a clue what he sent me - he doesn't either.

SG

Steve Glines wrote:

I received 20 dormant peony cuttings. I'm in zone 5 and the ground is
still frozen/muddy. My question is this: When can I plant my peony roots
and can I expect them to bloom this year?

Thanks
SG

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 07-04-2003, 05:44 PM

then leave them there until you can plant. just keep an eye out for shoots (they
look red). And do follow directions for not planting too deeply with bush peonies.
If there is substantial dirt around the root ball they will take off nicely when you
do plant em. Ingrid

Steve Glines wrote:
They were from a friend who divided them last fall and kept them in his
garage over winter. He doesn't know what to do with them either. I put
them in my bulkhead to keep them dormant. These are bush peony. Bright
reds and whites. I haven't a clue what he sent me - he doesn't either.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 07-04-2003, 07:32 PM
jcart003

(Iris Cohen) wrote in message ...
I received 20 dormant peony cuttings. I'm in zone 5 and the ground is still
frozen/muddy.

Oh, dear. The prope time to plant peonies is September. Keep them in a garage
so they will stay dormant until your soil is workable. Then heel them in in a
growin bed as soon as possible. Plant them properly in the fall. Or ask your
extension agent about the best practice in your area.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

You have the peonies now, so swallow hard and plant them now, don't
try and heal them in for an entire growing season, you gain nothing
and lose the growth!
Take care with the buds, don't break them off! Remove any flower buds
that form, water and fertilize well and enjoy the plants!
Technically fall would have been a better time to plant, but in
areas of cool summers it isn't such a big deal. They may take longer
to get into full swing (4 years in the best of times) but they will do
fine!!! And give them PLENTY of room!!! they should have 3-4 feet
between plants!! After all they are permanent!!
DO NOT LET ANY OF THOSE BUDS FLOWER!!! and I would suggest pinching
out 1/2 of the buds next year also.... but that is asking a lot!!! I
have 1/4 acre of peonies that I used for cut flowers (to sell) and I
had to pinch out the buds for 4 long years to get the plants
strong.... and it turns out that "Here and Now Gardens" of Oregon (I
still need to vent a bit!) sent the wrong varieties!!! It took 4 years
to find out...............
Good luck and enjoy!!!!