Old 09-07-2008, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_5_] Billy[_5_] is offline

Default How to fix my cracking regular & grape tomatoes

In article
,
Sam wrote:

I've read that it is most likely inconsistent watering. So am I
watering too much/too little. Too much at 1 time, not enough at 1
time???

The cracks go down the tomatoes (both our regular and our grape
tomatoes), they are not the circle cracks.

I water to soaking about once a week. We have a raised bed, and the
soil below the raised bed is pretty hard. The bed is about 1 foot
deep, maybe a little less.

Will fixing our watering fix our bitter cukes too? We have those
growing up a trellis.

Thanks!

Sick your finger in the ground to determine dampness (soggy, damp, dry).
Don't water if soggy. If you can squeeze water out of the soil, don't
water. It may take you awhile to determine the appropriate amount of
dampness. At the first sign of wilt, water. If your cukes are cracking,
then may be the problem. Do not spray water on the plant. Fruit can pick
up water easily from the stem.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars