Old 09-07-2008, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sam Sam is offline

Default How to fix my cracking regular & grape tomatoes

I've read that it is most likely inconsistent watering. So am I
watering too much/too little. Too much at 1 time, not enough at 1
time???

The cracks go down the tomatoes (both our regular and our grape
tomatoes), they are not the circle cracks.

I water to soaking about once a week. We have a raised bed, and the
soil below the raised bed is pretty hard. The bed is about 1 foot
deep, maybe a little less.

Will fixing our watering fix our bitter cukes too? We have those
growing up a trellis.

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2008, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Sam wrote:

I've read that it is most likely inconsistent watering. So am I
watering too much/too little. Too much at 1 time, not enough at 1
time???

The cracks go down the tomatoes (both our regular and our grape
tomatoes), they are not the circle cracks.

I water to soaking about once a week. We have a raised bed, and the
soil below the raised bed is pretty hard. The bed is about 1 foot
deep, maybe a little less.

Will fixing our watering fix our bitter cukes too? We have those
growing up a trellis.

Thanks!

Sick your finger in the ground to determine dampness (soggy, damp, dry).
Don't water if soggy. If you can squeeze water out of the soil, don't
water. It may take you awhile to determine the appropriate amount of
dampness. At the first sign of wilt, water. If your cukes are cracking,
then may be the problem. Do not spray water on the plant. Fruit can pick
up water easily from the stem.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 09-07-2008, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Sam wrote:

I've read that it is most likely inconsistent watering. So am I
watering too much/too little. Too much at 1 time, not enough at 1
time???

The cracks go down the tomatoes (both our regular and our grape
tomatoes), they are not the circle cracks.

I water to soaking about once a week. We have a raised bed, and the
soil below the raised bed is pretty hard. The bed is about 1 foot
deep, maybe a little less.

Will fixing our watering fix our bitter cukes too? We have those
growing up a trellis.

Thanks!

Generally, cracking is attributed to overwatering from what I
understand. I await the input of other group members.

Try some mulch?
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein
Old 10-07-2008, 09:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 17:20:41 -0500, Omelet wrote:

:In article
,
: Sam wrote:
:
[...]

Yes, mulch is a good idea, and I agree about watering when you see
wilting. Next season I'd suggest digging deeper. Tomatoes are deep
rooted plants.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Sam said:

I've read that it is most likely inconsistent watering. So am I
watering too much/too little. Too much at 1 time, not enough at 1
time???

I've had tomatoes almost explode last year after a big rain late
in the season. It had been very dry up until then, and I had
kept the tomato plants happy with a soaker hose.

Butternut squashes did the same thing. It was the rush of excess
moisture.

Last year was frustrating. No rain, then too much for a week, then
no rain right into a dry autumn. This year, plenty of rain.

The cracks go down the tomatoes (both our regular and our grape
tomatoes), they are not the circle cracks.

That's pretty much typical of the cracks you get when the plant
gets a burst of water.

I water to soaking about once a week. We have a raised bed, and the
soil below the raised bed is pretty hard. The bed is about 1 foot
deep, maybe a little less.

Maybe water 1/2 as much, twice a week. And add some mulch.
You need to even out the soil moisture.

Will fixing our watering fix our bitter cukes too? We have those
growing up a trellis.

Bitter cukes could be due to them getting too little water (at times).

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 12:07:55 -0700 (PDT), Sam
wrote:

I've read that it is most likely inconsistent watering. So am I
watering too much/too little. Too much at 1 time, not enough at 1
time???

To get even watering try this:

Take a gallon plastic milk jug and poke a small hole in the bottom
with a nail. Bury it up to it's neck beside your tomato, and fill
twice a week.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:47:17 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

wrote:

I've read that it is most likely inconsistent watering. So am I
watering too much/too little. Too much at 1 time, not enough at 1
time???

To get even watering try this:

Take a gallon plastic milk jug and poke a small hole in the bottom
with a nail. Bury it up to it's neck beside your tomato, and fill
twice a week.

That is an awesome idea!

I can't take credit. It was a tip I read from the "Tomato Man"
Darrill Merrell. Unfortunately, he died in April at 68. His daughter
is carrying on (
http://www.tomatomananddaughter.com/)

In addition to even watering, it also eliminates water on the leaves,
so you can do it any time of day. And it's also an easy way to get
liquid nutrients directly at root level as well.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
se (JustTom) wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:47:17 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

wrote:

I've read that it is most likely inconsistent watering. So am I
watering too much/too little. Too much at 1 time, not enough at 1
time???

To get even watering try this:

Take a gallon plastic milk jug and poke a small hole in the bottom
with a nail. Bury it up to it's neck beside your tomato, and fill
twice a week.

That is an awesome idea!

I can't take credit. It was a tip I read from the "Tomato Man"
Darrill Merrell. Unfortunately, he died in April at 68. His daughter
is carrying on (
http://www.tomatomananddaughter.com/)

In addition to even watering, it also eliminates water on the leaves,
so you can do it any time of day. And it's also an easy way to get
liquid nutrients directly at root level as well.

Thanks for passing it on...

Driveway cracking dyork Lawns 3 01-10-2006 02:20 PM
Tomatoes cracking??? Lucy Edible Gardening 5 29-07-2006 04:45 PM
Tomato problems: potato leaf vs, regular leaf (cut leaf?) Joanne Edible Gardening 7 17-03-2005 08:53 PM
soil cracking Joe Joe Gardening 3 20-06-2004 01:02 AM
are "regular" fertilizer sticks appropriate for aquarium use? Duncan A. McRae Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 26-05-2003 02:56 PM